Permission to view processes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I need to give permission to a user only to View Process Tab on the server.

Currently the user doenst have Local Admin / Remote Desktop Users acces

If I give RDP Access will he be able to check the processes under process tab.

regards,

thads

tfernandes

Monday, January 25, 2016 8:16 AM

Answers

• You can do this easily with System Frontier.

You can even delegate granular permissions to view specific process names by using wildcard rules. It acts like a proxy server for remote administration so that the user never needs to log on interactively or have direct admin rights on the target machine.

• Proposed as answer by Wendy Jiang Tuesday, February 2, 2016 6:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by pumping_iron Saturday, February 20, 2016 7:25 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2016 11:32 PM

All replies

• Hi 

A bit more info might be helpful.

To log on to a server at the console you need to be an admin user (or have log on locally privilege)

Best practice is that only admin users log on directly (or through RDP) to a server - UNLESS it is an RDSH role and the session is running for users.

In that case the user can run task manager and see his processes. Is that enough or do you need more than that?

Please mark this as an answer if it was helpful

Yours

Ed

Monday, January 25, 2016 11:22 AM
  • I need to give permission to a user only to View Process Tab on the server.

Hi,

What you mean is that you delegate a user access to log on server and restrict everything, but only to view the process in task manger, am I understanding correctly?

The suggestion from ED will make user access server and not only view the process in task manger.

Please describe  clearer for further support.

Best regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 5:47 AM
  • Hi ED<

thanks for the suggestion.

The user is an application support guy who needs frequent access to the server to view the processes.

Currently he is not part of local admin or Remote Desktop Users group on the server.

To enable him to view process do I need to give RDP access or any other workaround through command line e.g. subinacl etc.

tfernandes

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 6:23 AM
  • You can do this easily with System Frontier.

You can even delegate granular permissions to view specific process names by using wildcard rules. It acts like a proxy server for remote administration so that the user never needs to log on interactively or have direct admin rights on the target machine.

• Proposed as answer by Wendy Jiang Tuesday, February 2, 2016 6:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by pumping_iron Saturday, February 20, 2016 7:25 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2016 11:32 PM