none
Bitlocker encryption at startup

Question

• Hi, I have a problem on my laptop. My office laptop is encrypted using Bitlocker as part of our firm's security over our machines and data stored therein. 
    One Saturday, I opened my laptop when it got hibernated last friday night after work. At startup, it ask for my password, I entered it but it showed: "Too many PIN attempts". 
    I dont know why and how it happened as I did not change my laptops for the last 3 months since it was issued to me. Since its a weekend, I asked some of our IT personnel having their rest days on how to resolve this, they taught to search for the recovery key in their database using the identifier provided by bitlocker. I found the files recovery keys but no one matched the identifier showed on my laptop's screen (that cant be accessed).
    My question is, what if the recovery keys of my laptop cannot be located anymore, are there ways possible where I can still log-in again losing my files? thanks.

Saturday, January 30, 2016 3:10 PM

Answers

• Hi marty,

Thank you for your question.

By this issue, we suggest you restart PC to re-type PIN code to check if the issue persist. Or you could check if go into safe mode using recovery key.

We could refer to the following link to learn more details about recovery key:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn383583.aspx 

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 1, 2016 6:39 AM