Issue with Multilevel list numbering in Word 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• For the template file in question see Template C in :http://library.msstate.edu/content/templates/level2-dept-otd/docs/Word%202007%20automated%20templates.zip

This template is set up so that Chapter numbers, subheading numbers, Table numbers, and Figure numbers all belong to the same multilevel list with Table and figures taking up slots 7 and 8 respectively--all used through styles (Chapter number, 1st level -5th level subheading, table titles, and figure titles)

The issue arises when one inserts a table or figure title (via their respective styles) and then addes a subheading of a lower level after, the subheading numbering is off by 1.  What appears to be happening is when a lower level in the multilevel list is used (in this case level 7), then any higher level (<level 7) that has a counter value of 0 gets incremented to 1. 

Example:

1.1 sample 1st level subheading

1.1.1 sample second level subheading

Table 1.1 sample table title

1.1.1.2 resultent third level subheading appearing after table.

forcing the numbering to restart at 1 appears to work until the automatic table of contents is updated, at which point the template becomes unstable and crashes.  My current work around is to update the TOC, save, correct one instance of incorrect numbering, save, update TOC, repeat until crash.  Eventually, it gets forced through.

In summar, why would the multilevel list auto increment unused levels by 1 when a lower level is used rather than leave them at 0? 

Friday, March 18, 2011 9:38 PM

Answers

• The caption feature makes use of STYLEREF fields to show the "current" heading number. As far as I know, there is no way to change the format of the number displayed by that field. Sorry, I don't have any further suggestions. :-(

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Friday, March 25, 2011 9:29 AM
    Monday, March 21, 2011 7:30 PM

All replies

• The problem occurs because you apply your level 7 style before your level 4 style. Word doesn't like it when you leave "gaps" in the outline numbering structure.

Instead of including table and figure captions with the outline list, use the Caption dialog box to insert captions.

• Proposed as answer by Harry Yuan Monday, March 21, 2011 9:13 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Jnail Monday, March 21, 2011 1:09 PM
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 1:41 PM
  • Unfortunately, I had to abandon the caption option due to MSU's didffering requirements for Table and Figure Captions.  Also, Captions do not allow for legal style numbering which causes tables/figures to be listed as IV.1, IV.2, IV.3...etc. 
    Monday, March 21, 2011 12:55 PM
  • The caption feature makes use of STYLEREF fields to show the "current" heading number. As far as I know, there is no way to change the format of the number displayed by that field. Sorry, I don't have any further suggestions. :-(

• Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Friday, March 25, 2011 9:29 AM
    Monday, March 21, 2011 7:30 PM