none
Windows Update History RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

What is the best place of getting the information about the updates that were installed on a server?

- If you get them out of WUAU agent install history, this is clean if you delete DatabaseStore.edb

- systeminfo.exe - is not getting all KB sometimes it reruns Blanks / does not have install date

- WMI class win32_quickfixengineering -  it does not return for all KB installation

- WMIC command : wmic qfe list

- Powershell Get-Hotfix - this is not working on all OS system versions ( i think is reading also WMI)

- Windows installation Update Events- they can be deleted

Kind regards,

Adrian

Monday, February 11, 2019 12:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Win32_QuickFixEngineering WMI class to list Windows Updates, only returns updates supplied by Component Based Servicing (CBS). Updates supplied by the Microsoft Windows Installer (MSI) or the Windows update site are not returned by Get-Hotfix/Win32_QuickFixEngineering.

Therefore, to get all the updates through WMI and MSI, we may need to use a variety of methods.

1.  For Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)
         a.  Use the WMIC command in CMD
         b.  Use Get-WmiObject class in PowerShell

2.  For updates from Windows Update, Microsoft Update or Automatic Updates feature
         Use the following script in PowerShell

$Session = New-Object -ComObject "Microsoft.Update.Session"
    $Searcher = $Session.CreateUpdateSearcher()
    $historyCount = $Searcher.GetTotalHistoryCount()
    $Searcher.QueryHistory(0, $historyCount) | Select-Object Title, Description, Date,
        @{name="Operation"; expression={switch($_.operation){
            1 {"Installation"}; 2 {"Uninstallation"}; 3 {"Other"}
    }}}

3.  For using the Windows Installer (MSI) installation method
         This can be done by calling Windows Installer COM interfaces directly or using Get-MSIPatchInfo Jump cmdlet from the unofficial Windows Installer PowerShell Jump module.

This article details the above methods:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4197.windows-how-to-list-all-of-the-windows-and-software-updates-applied-to-a-computer.aspx

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic Lv

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 3:35 AM
  • So.. like i expected there is no nice/easy way.

I like option 2 but is the same with point 1 from me. Sadly if you delete the .edb ( in general is deleted by Sysadmins if they have Windows Update installer issue) you will not get any data .

Kind regards,

Adrian

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 7:28 PM