Creating a new item URL for a list RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I've created a communication site with a custom list. Instead of creating a link to the list itself, I would like to create a link that automatically opens up a new item for the list. In old classic SharePoint I was able to do this by adding /Item/newifs.aspx to the URL ...but I can't seem to do this in the new experience as clicking on new item doesn't open a browser window or generate a link - any ideas?

Cheers

kegan1

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 9:43 AM

Answers

• Hi Kegan,

You can add the new item URL in the below format

https://tenant.sharepoint.com/teams/TestCommunicationsite/Lists/ListName/newform.aspx

Thivagar SEGAR

[If the Post Helps you, then please don't forget to mark it answer or Vote for this post]

• Marked as answer by kegan1 Thursday, November 1, 2018 11:45 AM
    Thursday, November 1, 2018 10:48 AM

All replies

• Hi kegan1,

This is by design. Adding /Item/newifs.aspx to the list URL will not work in SharePoint Online.

As a workaround, for you requirement, you can go to the List Settings > Advanced Settings, and select "Yes" for the "Launch forms in a dialog?" option.

Then in the list, click on New. When it slides out from the right side, click the "Copy Link" button along the top and copy the link.

This time you can use this link to go to the the newform page directly.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 8:57 AM
  • Hi, thanks I tried that but when I copy the link in the navigation menu in edit mode on my communciatiosn site it doesnt let me save it (it lets me save the general URL for the list) . When I paste the new item link in a browser window it works though. It seems the SharePoint navigation menu doesn't like the URL when I try to save it ? I'm using ChromE btw

Cheers

kegan1

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 10:01 AM
  • it's a very long URL that is geneerated from the copy link on new item - maybe that is the issue?

kegan1

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 10:04 AM
  • Hi kegan1,

What do you mean about "it doesn't let me save it"? What do you mean about the "Navigation menu"? Please provide some screenshots for helping me solving your issue.

Are you saving the URL from below picture? If yes, try to clear your browser cache or change another browser and have a test.

Do you mean you cannot see the "Link to 'form' copied" like below picture after you click "Copy"?

(the URL generated from below picture is long, but that is not the issue. This works well in my environment)

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, November 1, 2018 2:02 AM
  • Hi Kegan,

You can add the new item URL in the below format

https://tenant.sharepoint.com/teams/TestCommunicationsite/Lists/ListName/newform.aspx

Thivagar SEGAR

[If the Post Helps you, then please don't forget to mark it answer or Vote for this post]

• Marked as answer by kegan1 Thursday, November 1, 2018 11:45 AM
    Thursday, November 1, 2018 10:48 AM