none
Failed to prepare a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) 0x8007173D RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a 2-node Hyper-V cluster with 1 CSV containing 5 VMs split across both nodes. I am receiving the below error when performing the child partition backups in DPM 2010.

Failed to prepare a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) for backup as another backup using the same CSV is in progress. (ID 32612 Details: Back up is in progress. Please wait for backup completion before trying this operation again (0x8007173D))

I have completed the steps to serialize the backups in the Technet article, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634192.aspx and have modified the Protection Group and restarted the DPM server.

Although the parallel backups is showing 1 in the registry and the datasourcegroups.xml has been created successfully, I am still receiving the error above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Charlie.

• Moved by MarcReynolds Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:54 AM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 10:44 AM

Answers

• The DatasourceGroupsSample.xml is used as an example for the formatting we use to optimize backups with DPM.  DatasourceGroups.xml can be used to optimize multiple datasources.

The DatasourceGroupsSample.xml file will contain a single group (for example, Group1) and all the data sources protected by the DPM server will be present in that group. If you do not want to control the backup of any particular data source, then that data source can be removed from the XML file. The following is an example of a DatasourceGroupsSample.xml file.

noteNote
    Each group must have its own unique name.

<Group GroupName="Group1">< Datasource DatasourceName=<Database> ProtectedServerName=<Protected Server> WriterId=<Writer ID /> < /Group>

The following table describes the field names in the DatasourceGroupsSample.xml file.

Name Description

DataSourceName

Name of the database. The name should be in the following format: SQLInstanceName\SQLDBName.

ProtectedServerName

Name of the server where the database resides.

WriterID

ID of the VSS writer that reports this database. This field is set by the system and does not have to be modified.

Monday, January 16, 2012 11:33 PM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Open the DataSourceGroups.xml using internet explorer and make sure it can be parsed without any errors.  I have seen & or other special character in VM name cause problems with the xml parsing so serialization doesn't work.

If the xml looks OK, then try adding these registry keys to allow DPM to try claiming the csv.

1) Copy the following in notepad, then save the file as csvretry.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent\CSV]
    "CsvMaxRetryAttempt"=dword:000000C8
    "CsvAttemptWaitTime"=dword:0002bf20

2) Copy the csvretry.reg file to each node in the cluster.

3) Logon to each node in the cluster as an administrator, then right-click the csvretry.reg file and select "open with" - then "Registry Editor" option to import the registry settings.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 5:13 PM
  • Thanks Mike,

I just noticed that the DataSourceGroups.xml was not correct - it was not closed with the </datasourcegroups> so I have added that in and will see how it goes.

What is the DataSourceGroupsSample.xml? I notice that it is similar to the DataSourceGroups.xml but also lists my Hyper-V hosts rather than just the VMs?

Thanks again,

Charlie.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:21 AM
  • The DatasourceGroupsSample.xml is used as an example for the formatting we use to optimize backups with DPM.  DatasourceGroups.xml can be used to optimize multiple datasources.

The DatasourceGroupsSample.xml file will contain a single group (for example, Group1) and all the data sources protected by the DPM server will be present in that group. If you do not want to control the backup of any particular data source, then that data source can be removed from the XML file. The following is an example of a DatasourceGroupsSample.xml file.

noteNote
    Each group must have its own unique name.

<Group GroupName="Group1">< Datasource DatasourceName=<Database> ProtectedServerName=<Protected Server> WriterId=<Writer ID /> < /Group>

The following table describes the field names in the DatasourceGroupsSample.xml file.

Name Description

DataSourceName

Name of the database. The name should be in the following format: SQLInstanceName\SQLDBName.

ProtectedServerName

Name of the server where the database resides.

WriterID

ID of the VSS writer that reports this database. This field is set by the system and does not have to be modified.

Monday, January 16, 2012 11:33 PM