Please clarify the Archive Folder use when Online Archive Feature is not enabled RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My question is:  If I don't enable the Archive feature of the user's mailbox, will the Retention Tag below still apply to the Archive Folder that I see on the root of my mailbox? Or does this retention tag only takes effect when the Online Archive is enabled? 

Here's our situation, we have a "Prohibit send quota" of 2 GB.  Meaning, if a user mailbox reaches 2 GB, they won't be able to send emails to anyone.  This is the company policy.  Because of this, our individual mailbox is small and we don't need to enable Online Archiving. In fact, we don't encourage it and we can't per company policy.  In addition to that, our policy states that if the emails are older than 1 year, the emails are automatically deleted.  However, we need to make an exemption to some sub folders.  I am thinking to use the Archive folder as a solution.  If the Retention Tags apply below to the Archive Folder, I can ask the users to move all their sub folders to the Archive Folder and everything else will be deleted after 1 year. if they don't move it.

Will this work?

• Moved by Perry-Pan Monday, July 29, 2019 4:57 AM
    Thursday, July 18, 2019 7:23 PM

Answers

• >>If I don't enable the Archive feature of the user's mailbox, will the Retention Tag below still apply to the Archive Folder that I see on the root of my mailbox?

You can refer to this article: Archive folder is the default destination for messages archived with the Archive button in Outlook. It’s the folder which you can see under your mailbox instead of Online Archive mailbox.

Besides, after creating retention tag, you need to create a retention policy and then apply the policy to your mailbox folders:

Apply a retention policy to mailboxes in Exchange Server

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, July 22, 2019 3:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by DoBongSoon Tuesday, July 23, 2019 3:20 PM
    Friday, July 19, 2019 5:11 AM

All replies

• >>If I don't enable the Archive feature of the user's mailbox, will the Retention Tag below still apply to the Archive Folder that I see on the root of my mailbox?

You can refer to this article: Archive folder is the default destination for messages archived with the Archive button in Outlook. It’s the folder which you can see under your mailbox instead of Online Archive mailbox.

Besides, after creating retention tag, you need to create a retention policy and then apply the policy to your mailbox folders:

Apply a retention policy to mailboxes in Exchange Server

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, July 22, 2019 3:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by DoBongSoon Tuesday, July 23, 2019 3:20 PM
    Friday, July 19, 2019 5:11 AM
  • I'm writing to see if the information above is helpful to you. If you have further concern, please feel free to post back.

By the way, if the reply helps, it's recommended to mark it as answer which will benefit other users a lot to easily find useful information here.

Regards,

Perry

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 6:51 AM
  • Just for the record if someone would also look it up in the future.  The retention policy does apply to the Archive folder even if not using the Online Archiving feature.
    Tuesday, July 23, 2019 3:21 PM