none
Sysprep Hyper-V?

Question

• Hi,

We have a machine installed with Hyper-v 2012 r2. On here is installed 5NineManager with a virtual Windows Server2012R2. Is it possible to sysprep and capture the Hyper-V Server, so that it creates a .wim file containing the 5nine, with the virtual server etc. 

The goal is to get a .wim file to upload on to a SCCM or WDS server, to use for other servers that require the hyperv, 5nine and the virtual machines installed on the 5nine.

We have a Windows Hyper-V Server 2012R2 containing 5Nine. On 5Nine, we have multiple Virtual Servers installed. Is it possible to sysprep and capture the Hyper-V Server with everything included, so it creates a .wim file to upload onto a SCCM Server. Does Hyper-V even have the sysprep.exe? 

I have no physical reach to the server for a while, hence the question. Tried and still trying to find some answers online.

Hopefully I explained it correctly, and thanks in advance for the comments.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 12:09 AM

Answers

• You should talk with the SCCM experts about using PowerShell to install.

SQL Server does have an option to run through sysprep, but that does not seem to correlate to your initial question.  You were asking about sysprepping the Hyper-V host.  That would not do anything to the VMs on the system.  Each system has to be sysprepped individually if you want to sysprep, and then you need to check each application to see if it will handle being sysprepped.  Some applications can and others cannot.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Friday, March 17, 2017 1:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, it is not supported.

I have seen posts about the issues caused by sysprep Hyper-V, something like MAC addresses conflict, but I could not find the posts now.

I suggest you install the role through powershell cmdlets, it could avoid issues.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 5:19 AM
  • Hi, 

Thanks for the input. After some research, I don't  think it is a smart idea to sysprep. I also read that the SQL server does not work properly afterwards. 

Is it possible to install SCCM via a powershell script? I know that it is possible to install SQL via powershell, not about SCCM. 

Thanks in advance

Thursday, March 16, 2017 5:26 PM
  • You should talk with the SCCM experts about using PowerShell to install.

SQL Server does have an option to run through sysprep, but that does not seem to correlate to your initial question.  You were asking about sysprepping the Hyper-V host.  That would not do anything to the VMs on the system.  Each system has to be sysprepped individually if you want to sysprep, and then you need to check each application to see if it will handle being sysprepped.  Some applications can and others cannot.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Friday, March 17, 2017 1:42 AM