none
Lost Default Search Engine Control Due to KB2988414 RRS feed

• Question

• Has there been any update regarding the loss of search engine management that KB2988414 forced on us??? Simply put I cannot manage changing the search engine in WIN7x64 ENT images without them being changed back. I have tried the IEAK, GP, AutoUnattend.xml, assorted scripts, assorted reg settings all with no success. 

here is another reference and an acknowledgment of the issue:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/a50e93ec-0d63-4ed0-865e-79b62605ff46/kb2988414-and-default-search-provider-via-installins?forum=ieitprocurrentver

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 2:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Optimum,

IEAK IE11-Setup-Branding package works here (Which need Internet Explorer 11 to install first).

After log off and log on again, the default search provider changed to the settings I have configured in the package.

For the full install package, currently I am not able to build the environment to test it.

So for the current situation, if it is considered to be an available method, you may create a Setup-Branding package after the installation of Internet Explorer 11.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 16, 2015 9:48 AM

All replies

• Forgot to add this additional post reference:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/b9d742a4-dd69-4638-b680-03a3f8bd3833/setting-ie-search-providers-via-gp?forum=ieitprocurrentver

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 2:32 PM
  • Hi Optimum,

I am testing using IEAK to customize the search providers in Internet Explorer 11.

Based on my research, there is no further update information regarding search providers.

The IEAK Wizard should have the option to set the default provider, see:

Search Providers: Internet Explorer Customization Wizard

More information, please check: IEAK 11: List of tasks and references to create, manage, and deploy Internet Explorer 11 custom packages

We could import the search providers through the current machine, to change the providers on the current machine, please follow:

• Click on the Tools in the top right corner of IE.
    • Click on Manage add-ons
    • In Add-on Type select Search Providers
    • In the bottom of the window, click on Find more search providers ...
    • A new window will open, click on The Other providers
    • Click on Add to Internet Explorer
    • A pop up appears. Check Make this my default search provider.
    • Click on Add

Then run the IEAK wizard.

Best regards

Michael Shao

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 7:39 AM
  • Thanks for the response Michael but I'm not quite sure I understand because the link below clearly states that this doesn't work and is a confirmed problem. Has that changed in anyway? We have tried the IEAK before and it didn't work for us so are you saying that you have tested and deployed this in an image and it now works?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/a50e93ec-0d63-4ed0-865e-79b62605ff46/kb2988414-and-default-search-provider-via-installins?forum=ieitprocurrentve

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 3:49 PM
  • Hi Optimum,

I am currently doing the test, due to the slow connection, IEAK seems not work smoothly.

I will share the result if I am done.

Best regards

Michael Shao

Thursday, January 15, 2015 9:59 AM
  • Hi Optimum,

IEAK IE11-Setup-Branding package works here (Which need Internet Explorer 11 to install first).

After log off and log on again, the default search provider changed to the settings I have configured in the package.

For the full install package, currently I am not able to build the environment to test it.

So for the current situation, if it is considered to be an available method, you may create a Setup-Branding package after the installation of Internet Explorer 11.

Best regards

Michael Shao

Friday, January 16, 2015 9:48 AM
  • We don't wish to use the IEAK if possible. We can do everything else we want using GPOs and would much rather control the default search provider with GPO also. Unfortunately we get the error if we use GPO registry settings. Is there anything we can do besides forgetting about the settings altogether or using IEAK?

Thanks

Mark

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 11:10 AM
  • I had the same issue with my latest sysprepped images, the only thing I did different from my previous image was include IE 11 and associated updates.  I was happy after I joined them to our domain because the behavior disappeared after that.  I have a couple of GPOs related to IE as listed below:

Enable "Disable add-on performance notifications"
    Enable "Automatically enable newly installed add-ons"
    Disable "Turn on Suggested Sites"
    Enable "Prevent performance of First Run Customise settings" and select "Go directly to home page"

One of these is likely responsible, probably the last one...sorry I'm to busy to further test so maybe give this a shot if you are still having this issue.

Regards,

Danny
    Friday, May 6, 2016 2:37 PM