Mouse not working RRS feed

• Question

• Have a Microsoft Habu mouse and was working fine until today.  When I booted up windows it stopped working.  It shows nothing wrong in the device manager, and when I go into the driver it says it is working correctly.

So far I have tried to update the firmware and software to the latest, the mouse is lit up showing that it is receiving power and is connected, but still no luck.  If I try to plug it into a different USB port it pops up and installs the Habu drivers for it,  but again it does not work.  (the movement and the buttons)

To test this, I have tried installing 4 other USB mice in, and all of them come up with an error something to do with the INF not right and something about Windows 95.  Have read elsewhere about having all the updates done which they are (including SP1) and have also tried to change the dirver to a standard HID mouse instead of an optical browsing mouse, still no go.

Running Vista 32bit, the other mice I have tried were standard PnP from Logitech.

Any ideas here?
    Wednesday, April 9, 2008 10:04 PM

Answers

• Well I want to thank everyone for the help they tried to provide.  Was something needed to be done asap so I ended up reinstalling vista.  After the updates worked fine, so not sure if was a fluke, they fixed it, or what, but working now for me.

Just a heads up to other people, I have tried to boot up with all the different options (safe mode etc) none of those worked, as well as tried to boot off the cd and restored a past configuration when I know everything was working.  It would get to the log on screen and was able to log in, then it installed some driver again and back to square one. 

As mentioned, also tried PS/2 keyboards (had no PS/2 mice) and was giving same issue.  So its some driver that is being downloaded that is trying to update on your system, but it is screwing it up somehow.  Hope this can help some others so you dont have to format like I did. :\

Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:51 PM

All replies

• Hello!

I have exactly the same problem. Though I tried unplugging all my USB-devices including the keyboard that did work.
    After I plugged all of them in again the mouse and the keyboard won't work.

I've tried "Safe mode", "Last known configuration", etc.

The error occured after a Windows update of normal components, like Security updates etc.

Currently running Vista x64 Ultimate

P.S. Have tried P/S 2 Mouse and keyboard, with the same results. D.S.
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 6:42 AM
  • It has something to do with the HID inf file. I have the same troubles and there are other threads with this problem. Hope there will be a solution soon... I tried with all mouses and also have vista x64 ultimate.
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:27 AM
  •  

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3139832&SiteID=17

Try looking in this thread. A guy there switched all his .inf files with a similar system and got it back to working condition.

So obviously, something in the latest vista update broke the .inf files.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 9:06 AM
  • problem is that I only have one vista PC Smile
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 10:42 AM
  • Same here, only one Vista PC.
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 11:22 AM
  • I hope microsoft will point us to a hotfix for this issue fast ! I really hate to see a total-reinstall,-update-and-same-issues-all-over-again scenario....
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 11:30 AM
  • Hi,
    try this... (for me it`s working)

go to device manager and go to the properties of the unknown device. then click update driver.

click on install manually

next you need to browse to this place

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\

then find the folder that begins with msmouse open then select this folder

in the text box it would look something like

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\msmouse.inf_{Some Id Here}

{ Some Id Here } being the id for your computer

then click next / install

Tomas Pflanzer
    http://mstom.blogspot.com/
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:41 PM
  • Well I want to thank everyone for the help they tried to provide.  Was something needed to be done asap so I ended up reinstalling vista.  After the updates worked fine, so not sure if was a fluke, they fixed it, or what, but working now for me.

Just a heads up to other people, I have tried to boot up with all the different options (safe mode etc) none of those worked, as well as tried to boot off the cd and restored a past configuration when I know everything was working.  It would get to the log on screen and was able to log in, then it installed some driver again and back to square one. 

As mentioned, also tried PS/2 keyboards (had no PS/2 mice) and was giving same issue.  So its some driver that is being downloaded that is trying to update on your system, but it is screwing it up somehow.  Hope this can help some others so you dont have to format like I did. :\

Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:51 PM
  • Dear Tomas & Friends,

Your thread answer was great and helpful, not exactly the reason of trouble but was a solution.

It seems Windows Vista Updated last couple of days were total disaster.

Most of PC Hardwares will not respond with newer updates and most of them are also in business.

If OA Managers in big organization found this, MS will be trouble soon or later.

rolling back to old MSMOUSE.INF was the solution though,

still not a good OS to move, Windows Vi$ta.

In this weekend, I will downgrade my PC to Windows XP Pro for my wife's tax program.

Thanks M$, and thank you for trashing my valuable time...

Thursday, April 10, 2008 10:01 PM
  • Gang,

I'm not sure if this helps, but I have experienced the same error message "error trying to install... INF.. for Windows 95 or later' with my Vista Ultimate OS trying to install a Kensington Ci65m mouse.

I downloaded/requested the hotfix... but nothing.. (microsoft advice)

I recopied INF files from system32 to c:\windows\INF... nothing... (a blogger's advice)

But what finally worked was going to:

Device Manager > 'right click' on mouse/unknown device > Update Driver Software > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from list of devices on my computer > HID compliant mouse (second of two options)

I first choose the USB mouse option (didn't work), did it again choosing the 1st of two available HID compliant mouse options (still failed), AND FINALLY tried the 2nd of HID compliant mouse option and it worked!

Though it is a USB mouse... this option wored.. (and perhaps someone more fluent with 'puters may know why..)

I hope this helps someone... I tried it all...

Thursday, April 10, 2008 11:28 PM
  • I don't know if it is helpful to anyone, however, I did speak with an agent with MS tech support today and was informed that it is a known problem and that they are working on a fix, short of crazy work arounds.
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:54 AM
  • For me it worked to restore a snapshot from before april 9th where I got the fateful update.

Then immediately go into the control panel and turn off automatic updates or it will happen all over again.

Have they removed the update so I can turn automatic updates back on with no fear?

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 7:25 AM
  • I bogt my hid compliant moue last week!!!! i didn't know that it wasn't gonna work, i bought it on panama and I don't live there, how do I fix this?!?!?!
    Monday, May 19, 2008 4:19 PM