Can't open Microsoft Outlook 2010 after Windows 10 Fall Update (Plus other problems) RRS feed

• Question

• After the Windows 10 Fall Update, my computer has been giving me a lot of problems. One of those problems is that I can no longer start Outlook 2010. It worked for a few days, but now it won't open (when I look for Outlook in the start menu search bar, it's not even listed).  Word 2010 is still working (I have Office Professional 2010). I've tried doing a repair to no avail. My only thought is to reinstall Office but my install disk is in storage and I won't have access to it for a week. Other issues I'm having is that my computer will freeze and I will have to restart. When I log into Windows at boot up, sometimes I'll get an error that "something went wrong - try restarting your computer to see if that fixes the problem."  Sometimes I have to do this several times in order to get logged in to Windows. I'm not very happy with this newest Windows 10 update.
    Sunday, December 3, 2017 1:14 PM

All replies

• You may follow standard procedures for repairing / checking you windows installation:

sfc /scannow

dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

chkdsk /F C: would also an advice.

Installation file for Office can be found here: https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/software-download/office

Sunday, December 3, 2017 1:49 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

Since this forum is for general questions and feedback related Microsoft Outlook application, let's focus on your first question in this thread.

You may first try to start Outlook via searching for it in Start. We may also try to start Outlook in safe mode to see whether it starts correctly. To do this, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /safe and press Enter.

In addition, you can also try to browse to the path where the Outlook.exe file is stored and try to start the Outlook.exe file directly.

Regarding the second question, it's more likely a Windows level issue, I'd recommend you post a new question to the dedicated Window 10 forum to get further assistance:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/home?category=windows10itpro

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, December 5, 2017 9:49 AM
    Monday, December 4, 2017 6:01 AM
  • Hi Jeff,

How is everything going?

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 11, 2017 9:31 AM
  • Hi,

I'm having a similar problem happening immediately after my Fall update earlier today: When starting Outlook 2010, the Windows Installer starts "preparing installation". It does not tell what it tries to install, and continues forever...or until I cancel.

Starting Outlook in safe mode works fine. I thendisabled all add-ons, but Outlook still won't start in normal mode.

When starting in safe mode, I can see that mssphtb.dll has been disabled because it "prevented outlook from working correctly". It did not help enabling it.

When starting as admin, it seems to run fine => do I need to update some priviledges somewhere? Where?

The funny thing is that MS Access did exactly the same when I open an excel-view (made within Access). But that was before installing Fall. Not sure if there is a connection though.

Word and Excel starts just fine.

What to do now?

• Edited by ratnick66dk Saturday, December 30, 2017 9:12 AM
    Friday, December 29, 2017 4:39 PM
  • I was having the same issue with Outlook.  I just tried opening it as admin....and so far it's working ok.  We will see what happens the next time I open it.

Sunday, December 31, 2017 9:18 PM
  • Same issue here.  I can run it in "Run as Administrator" mode, but I loose the search ability and thats crucial.  I'm rolling back the Fall Creators update each morning right now... and 'remind me later'ing the update that downloads until after the work day.  My 'solution' sucks...

My topic is labeled "

Windows 10 Fall Creator update 'broke' Outlook 2010 - "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window.""

Saturday, January 27, 2018 12:31 AM
  • I have the same problem.  After rebooting Win 10 pro 64 after the creators update I tried to open Outlook 2010 and got error "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window", tried scanpst (first 2 times found errors, after that clean), still same error starting Outlook.  Works correctly running in safe mode or as admin (within the normal limits of safe mode and admin).  I disabled all add-ins but still same error.  Running "outlook.exe /resetnavpane" also same error.  I applied the accumulated updates for 1709 but still same error.  The pst data file is quite large (15GB) but no problems prior to update. 

I copied my pst from my desktop to my laptop, also Win 10 64-bit but creators update hasn't been applied yet, and Outlook 2010 on the laptop starts up perfectly.  This tells me the pst is fine, the creators update seems to have corrupted Outlook 2010 installation on my desktop.  The creators update is waiting to be applied on my laptop so I could check if the same problem happens there, but at least it's working on my laptop without the creators update, and I'd rather wait for a fix than have 2 installations of Outlook with errors.  Problem is I think Windows will force me to apply the update at some stage.

Thursday, February 1, 2018 5:51 AM
  • Having exact same issues...Run as admin does work.

I tried to run the Repair from the installer but the Office 10 Installer seems just to not be aware that there is already an Office 2010 installed...ask as a new installation.

Any possible answer from Microsoft??

Monday, February 19, 2018 1:36 PM
  • Same problem.  Yes, I can open it both in safe mode and with Run as Admin, but am I going to have to do that every time I use Outlook?  Surely, there is a means to get back to click and icon and it opens.  WaLa!
    Friday, September 14, 2018 12:00 AM