none
Need Physical % Complete Approach in My Assignments View - Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi -

My organization uses Project Server 2010. 

I need to provide users with the ability to status using Physical % Complete.  However, nothing I have tried has worked:

-Physical % Complete is read only on the My Assignments page and cannot be entered.

-I tried to create an Enterprise Custom Field entitled _Physical % Complete.  Although I could capture a number, whenever I opened the source file in Project Professional, the data was not present in the Enterprise Custom Field.  I reviewed both the Gantt Chart as well as the Task Usage view.  I checked the selection to Roll down, unless manually specified.    (Please know I did accept all of the status changes before opening the file.)

No dice.

Is it possible to capture a user-defined number value in the My Assignments view in Project Server 2010 and then have it populate the source file when opened in Project Professional?  If so, how do I do it?  I could use some specific instructions.

We're trying to 1) have resources status and 2) use % Complete the way it was intended (to show time elapsed rather than work completed).

I should also mention that we are an organization that is growing its planning maturity and not yet ready to status using work hours.  (We're working up to that, but not there yet.  Just having resources status is a big step up.)

Help is appreciated!

Thank you in advance -- Eve 

Friday, April 8, 2016 11:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I assume you will see the values enterd by team mebers in Project Professional after applying task usage view and adding your field there. Fields on task level are rolled down to assignment level when "Roll down, unless manually specified." is selected, but not vice versa. So your assignment values are not rolled up to task level. Then only way to achieve that would be a macro. In this way, you can also specify, if you want to have a total, an average, the maximum, ... if there is more than one assignment on a task.

Here a sample for a macro, assuming that

• you want the avarage
    • you rename your field e.g. MyPhysicalComplete (to access ECFs on assignment level, no spaces and special characters may be included)
    Sub RollUp()

Dim T As Task
    Dim A As Assignment

For Each T In ActiveProject.Tasks
         If Not T Is Nothing And Not T.Summary Then
            If T.Assignments.Count > 0 Then
                vFieldValue = 0
                For Each A In T.Assignments
                    vFieldValue = vFieldValue + A.MyPhysicalComplete
                Next A
                T.MyPhysicalComplete = vFieldValue / T.Assignments.Count
            End If
         End If
     Next T
     End Sub

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

• Marked as answer by EBBECC Monday, April 11, 2016 2:15 PM
    Sunday, April 10, 2016 10:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I assume you will see the values enterd by team mebers in Project Professional after applying task usage view and adding your field there. Fields on task level are rolled down to assignment level when "Roll down, unless manually specified." is selected, but not vice versa. So your assignment values are not rolled up to task level. Then only way to achieve that would be a macro. In this way, you can also specify, if you want to have a total, an average, the maximum, ... if there is more than one assignment on a task.

Here a sample for a macro, assuming that

• you want the avarage
    • you rename your field e.g. MyPhysicalComplete (to access ECFs on assignment level, no spaces and special characters may be included)
    Sub RollUp()

Dim T As Task
    Dim A As Assignment

For Each T In ActiveProject.Tasks
         If Not T Is Nothing And Not T.Summary Then
            If T.Assignments.Count > 0 Then
                vFieldValue = 0
                For Each A In T.Assignments
                    vFieldValue = vFieldValue + A.MyPhysicalComplete
                Next A
                T.MyPhysicalComplete = vFieldValue / T.Assignments.Count
            End If
         End If
     Next T
     End Sub

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

• Marked as answer by EBBECC Monday, April 11, 2016 2:15 PM
    Sunday, April 10, 2016 10:04 AM
  • Hi Eve,

was your project checked-in during approval? If not, these updates will still be "Pending". Check in history (Approvals - History - Status Updates)

Regards
    Barbara

Monday, April 11, 2016 2:04 PM
  • Barbara -

I can't thank you enough.  That was the information I needed and I've been hitting my head against a wall for a week.

The answer was this:  "to access ECFs on assignment level, no spaces and special characters may be included." Once I changed the field name and used your macro - everything worked.

Thank you thank you.

Eve

Monday, April 11, 2016 2:17 PM