Problems Opening Outlook 2007 after system update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've been running Outlook 2007 on my Windows Vista machine for  few years now. Last week a System update occurred and my machine locked up. I was forced to reboot the machine, and I took the option to "restore PC to last known working state" which turned out to be a mistake - The update made another few changes to my system and since then MS Outlook has continually crashed. It's able to download (and delete) messages from the POP server, but when I navigate to the the Inbox Outlook crashes.

In desperation I've:

1) I've uninstalled Outlook, rebooted, reinstalled Outlook.

The same problem occurred

2) Uninstalled Outlook, renamed the AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook directory, rebooted, reinstalled Outlook.

Ms Outlook keeps trying to find the pst file which no longer exists.

I'm guessing, but are there some settings in the registry which need to be cleared out before I can reinstall. If so, where would they be?

Sunday, September 21, 2014 5:33 PM

All replies

• Hi

If you go to the control panel and open mail, look at the current profile then remove the pst file from there.

Try opening up outlook again. If that fails remove the ost file then let outlook rebuild it.

are you using a pop or exchange account?

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, September 21, 2014 6:23 PM
  • Thanks for getting back to me - and so quickly as well.

I'm now able to launch Outlook, but when I navigate to any of the folders I get a message that says "Microsoft Office Outlook has stopped working" after which I have to close the program again. This was the original problem!

The event viewer doesn't give me much more information:

ID: 6, Application Name: Microsoft Office Outlook, Application Version: 12.0.4518.1014, Microsoft Office Version: 12.0.4518.1014. This session lasted 11 seconds with 0 seconds of active time.  This session ended with a crash.

Sunday, September 21, 2014 7:17 PM
  • I don't know if this helps, but... I've tried using Windows Mail instead (just so I've got a mail client), however this is failing as well.

As before I'm able to download mails from the server, but when I try to open then I get a message telling me there isn't enough memory   :-(

Thursday, September 25, 2014 7:49 PM
  • Just for the record, the only way I could find around this was to reinstall the OS!
    Monday, November 3, 2014 10:11 PM