global enterprise template RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I’ve been playing about with project server trial for a few weeks now, previously I set up a resource pool structure for my company but I’ve been asked to explore the server edition.

Anyway, I have a template that I use in the current system which is obviously set up for our needs, custom fields etc. Is there a way use my existing template in the server edition rather than the default global template? Ive tried having my template open, and then selecting the “organize global template” from file > info. Then tried to pull across all the good bits from my template inot the global template. Trouble is, when i get to the custom fields section there isn’t an option to copy my fields to the enterprise global template. As there was for the tables etc.

Any ideas or tips on how i can use my standard template as an enterprise template?

Friday, January 13, 2012 9:22 AM

Answers

• gdallas --

There are two things you will need to do in Project Server to meet your requirements:

1.  Assuming you are a Project Server administrator, you should import the local custom fields in your template into Project Server as enterprise custom fields.  The easiest way to accomplish this is to open the template file and then click Project > Custom Fields.  In the Custom Fields dialog, select a local custom field and then click the Add Field to Enterprise button.  In the Add Field to Enterprise dialog, leave all of the defaults in place and then click the OK button.  You will need to repeat this process for every custom field and outline code you created in the template.  After you finish the process of importing the local fields, you will need to log into PWA and then click Server Settings > Enterprise Custom Fields and Lookup Tables.  Click the name of each new custom field individually and rename the fields, dropping the local field name appended to the end of the custom field name in parentheses.  For example, if you imported a local custom field named Percent Task Cost Variance that was originally the Number1 field, the system will import the field using the name Percent Task Cost Variance (Number1), so you should remove the (Number1) part of the field name.  You will need to do this for every local custom field you import.

2.  After completing this process, use the Organizer dialog to delete every local custom field in your template file, as these fields will no longer be needed.  And then you should save the local template file as an enterprise template by clicking File > Save As.  In the Save to Project Server dialog, enter a name for the enterprise template, click the Type pick list and choose Template, and then click the Save button.  DO NOT fill in any required or optional custom enterprise Project fields.  After saving the template, close the file and when prompted to save it again, click the No button.  When your PMs want to create a new project from your new enterprise template, they will need to click File > New > Project Server Templates, select the template in question, and then click the OK button.

Finally, I want to seriously caution you about trying to learn how to use Project Server 2010 by �??playing�?� with it.  The software is not very intuitive and �??playing�?� with it will not make it intuitive.  If you are serious about your organization using this software, I would strongly recommend you enlist the services of a partner who can help you to walk through the process of implementing and configuring the system, and then providing training for your Project Server administrators and your project managers.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Friday, January 13, 2012 1:29 PM

All replies

• gdallas,

I'm not an expert on the server bit, but I think it should work if you save your standard template as a template. In your project, go to file, 'save as' and then select the "Project Template" in save as type?

Then load this template as the standard in the server version?

Hope this helps,

-- Koen

Friday, January 13, 2012 9:36 AM
  • yes, but its how you go about "loading it in as the standard" than i need clarification/help with.

cheers

G

Friday, January 13, 2012 9:41 AM
  • gdallas,..

After some searching and informing, I stumbled uppon this: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/projectserver2010general/thread/6f209608-75ea-42d7-ab1d-6e83f5679745

Is this the answer to what you are asking? Since you basicly want to 'overwrite' the enterprise template with your own? Or am I getting the question wrong?

-- Koen

• Edited by Koen Damen Friday, January 13, 2012 1:06 PM Bad English..
    Friday, January 13, 2012 12:59 PM
  • gdallas --

There are two things you will need to do in Project Server to meet your requirements:

1.  Assuming you are a Project Server administrator, you should import the local custom fields in your template into Project Server as enterprise custom fields.  The easiest way to accomplish this is to open the template file and then click Project > Custom Fields.  In the Custom Fields dialog, select a local custom field and then click the Add Field to Enterprise button.  In the Add Field to Enterprise dialog, leave all of the defaults in place and then click the OK button.  You will need to repeat this process for every custom field and outline code you created in the template.  After you finish the process of importing the local fields, you will need to log into PWA and then click Server Settings > Enterprise Custom Fields and Lookup Tables.  Click the name of each new custom field individually and rename the fields, dropping the local field name appended to the end of the custom field name in parentheses.  For example, if you imported a local custom field named Percent Task Cost Variance that was originally the Number1 field, the system will import the field using the name Percent Task Cost Variance (Number1), so you should remove the (Number1) part of the field name.  You will need to do this for every local custom field you import.

2.  After completing this process, use the Organizer dialog to delete every local custom field in your template file, as these fields will no longer be needed.  And then you should save the local template file as an enterprise template by clicking File > Save As.  In the Save to Project Server dialog, enter a name for the enterprise template, click the Type pick list and choose Template, and then click the Save button.  DO NOT fill in any required or optional custom enterprise Project fields.  After saving the template, close the file and when prompted to save it again, click the No button.  When your PMs want to create a new project from your new enterprise template, they will need to click File > New > Project Server Templates, select the template in question, and then click the OK button.

Finally, I want to seriously caution you about trying to learn how to use Project Server 2010 by �??playing�?� with it.  The software is not very intuitive and �??playing�?� with it will not make it intuitive.  If you are serious about your organization using this software, I would strongly recommend you enlist the services of a partner who can help you to walk through the process of implementing and configuring the system, and then providing training for your Project Server administrators and your project managers.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Friday, January 13, 2012 1:29 PM