none
DPM 2010 protection group spread out over multiple tapes RRS feed

• Question

• I have a single protection group (File which consists of volumes, folders and systems states.  Everything not a DB or email.)  For the holidays I loaded up my tape drive with tapes.  Some were expired, some were brand new.  What happened was 5 of the 11 available tapes were used by the File PG, but not to their fullest ability.  I think the largest of the jobs went to 15gb and only a handful of system states.  What this means is now I'm out of allotted tapes AND since I can't erase an non-expired tape without stopping the protection group, I'm out of ways to back the upcoming week/month end.

So, two things.  Why did it split up the one PG to 5 tapes?  And is there a way to erase and mark as free recently used tapes?  I don't mind losing one week in order to get a good end of month/year.

Thanks.

Ben Rollman

Friday, December 28, 2012 4:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can force free the tapes using a DPM powershell script: http://blogs.technet.com/dpm/archive/2007/09/04/cli-script-force-mark-tape-as-free.aspx

If tapes are not getting filled to capacity and that is causing DPM to use new tapes prematurely, then Please review this blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2012/05/14/things-you-can-do-to-help-data-protection-manager-utilize-your-tapes-full-capacity.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, December 28, 2012 5:04 PM
  • Thanks, I'll work on the script.  Thought I'm not very versed in ps scripting.  If you can give me some pointers as to what needs to be changed on it specifically for library location or tape slot, that'd be great.

And thanks for the blog post.  We're moving a lot of our backups off DPM but we'll still need it for some physical servers and I want to make sure it's working properly.

Ben Rollman

(edited)

I see it prompts you for the locations, never mind.  Not sure if I should run an inventory on it now or with the GUI update so I can see that it's complete?

• Edited by brollman Friday, December 28, 2012 5:33 PM
    Friday, December 28, 2012 5:15 PM
  • Okay, so I ran the script.  Entered the server.  It gave me three lines of library (logical, drive, tape I'm guessing) so I put in the tape drive.  Then entered 1, as in the first tape (not knowing what else to put in or what its syntax would have to be) and it didn't error out.

Back to the GUI to check on the status of the tape.  No change.  Ready for offsite.  I can't mark as free or erase.  Ran a library inventory just to be safe.

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> marktapefree.ps1
    DPM server name: : tmadpm01
    IBM ULTRIUM 4 HH 3580 TAPE DRIVE
    IBM ULT3580-HH4 SCSI Sequential Device
    TMA DPM Tape Library
    Library name (cut & paste from above): : TMA DPM Tape Library
    Tape location: : 1
    Processing this slot list...
    PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> marktapefree.ps1

Ben Rollman

Friday, December 28, 2012 7:48 PM
  • Hi,

OK for the tape location you have to enter:  Slot-1

If you want to do multiple slots in one session enter: Slot-1,Slot2,Slot-3

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, December 28, 2012 7:51 PM
  • Did you ever figure out why your protection group wrote over 5 tapes?

We are having a similar issue where one tape is used about 75%, and then the other tape has 1 agent's data on it only using 6GB. The main difference is that the one agent is on an untrusted domain.

Friday, July 26, 2013 7:05 PM
  • It was a while ago, no I don't.  There was a lot about DPM that was just counter-intuitive and frustrating.  We moved to a different backup solution since we were movie to mostly virtual.

I was able to force the tapes to be free using the powershell scripts, but as to why they ran long I have no idea.  There's a lot about volume logic I don't understand.

Ben Rollman

Friday, July 26, 2013 7:30 PM