locked
MDT 2013, OSDComputerName in customsettings.ini issue. RRS feed

  • General discussion

  • Hi all just wanted to post this since I was running into this issue at my workplace.  Upgraded to MDT 2013 recently, thought some more bugs would be worked out by now.  One in particular I found was with my customsettings.ini.  Now since I upgraded you can obviously tell I was utilizing MDT in 2010 and 2012 versions before this.  SO I simply updated my deployment share, I did not create a new one.  Our current customsettings.ini was layed out as so below:

    [Settings]
    Priority=TaskSequenceID, Default

    [Default]
    _SMSTSORGNAME=%TaskSequenceID% on %OSDComputername%
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipApplications=NO
    SkipAppsOnUpgrade=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipBDDWelcome=YES
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    SkipCapture=NO
    SkipComputerBackup=YES
    SkipDeploymentType=YES
    SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    SkipUserData=YES
    SkipWizard=NO
    DeploymentType=NEWCOMPUTER
    DoNotCreateExtraPartition=YES
    KeyboardLocale=en-US
    OSInstall=YES
    UILanguage=en-US
    UserID=(redacted)
    UserLocale=en-US
    UserDomain=(redacted)
    UserPassword=(redacted)
    TimeZone=035
    TimeZoneName=Eastern Standard Time
    EventService=(redacted)

    [WW-STAFF-WINXP]
    _SMSTSORGNAME=%TaskSequenceName% on %OSDComputername%
    SkipComputerName=YES
    OSDComputerName=(redacted)
    SkipDomainMembership=YES
    SkipTimeZone=NO
    SkipFinalSummary=NO
    FinishAction=REBOOT

    [TEST-WW-WIN7X86]
    _SMSTSORGNAME=WW Win7 Test Image on %OSDComputername%
    SkipComputerName=YES
    OSDComputerName=(redacted)
    SkipDomainMembership=YES
    SkipTimeZone=NO
    SkipFinalSummary=NO
    FinishAction=REBOOT

    [WW-STAFF-WINXP-2]
    _SMSTSORGNAME=%TaskSequenceName% on %OSDComputername%
    SkipComputerName=YES
    OSDComputerName=(redacted)
    SkipDomainMembership=YES
    SkipTimeZone=NO
    SkipFinalSummary=NO
    FinishAction=REBOOT

    [WW-CLASIMG-WINXP]
    _SMSTSORGNAME=%TaskSequenceName% on %OSDComputername%
    SkipComputerName=YES
    OSDComputerName=(redacted)
    SkipDomainMembership=NO
    SkipTimeZone=NO
    SkipFinalSummary=NO
    FinishAction=REBOOT

    [WW-STAFF-WIN7X86]
    _SMSTSORGNAME=%TaskSequenceName% on %OSDComputername%
    SkipComputerName=YES
    OSDComputerName=(redacted)
    SkipDomainMembership=YES
    SkipTimeZone=NO
    SkipFinalSummary=NO
    FinishAction=REBOOT

    [WW-STAFF-WIN7X64]
    _SMSTSORGNAME=%TaskSequenceName% on %OSDComputername%
    SkipComputerName=YES
    OSDComputerName=(redacted)
    SkipDomainMembership=YES
    SkipTimeZone=NO
    SkipFinalSummary=NO
    FinishAction=REBOOT

    Now this seems pretty straight forward.  Based on task sequence you choose you get alternate settings.  Well since the move to mdt 2013 the alternate setting, in particular the skip computer name, skip domain membership and osdcomputer name fields were not working.  It would prompt for computer name and domain membership every time.  So after a bit of troubleshooting, and NO HELP whatsoever from the researching online, I discovered it no longer will detect unless those particular exceptions are under the default profile instead of separate task sequence id's.  Hopefully this will be an easy update fix in the future, but who knows.  Luckily I can still run my setups without issue with it in the default portion.  Fixed customsettings.ini below:

    [Settings]
    Priority=TaskSequenceID, Default

    [Default]
    _SMSTSORGNAME=%TaskSequenceID% on %OSDComputername%
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipApplications=NO
    SkipComputerName=YES
    OSDComputerName=(redacted)
    SkipDomainMembership=YES
    SkipAppsOnUpgrade=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipBDDWelcome=YES
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    SkipCapture=NO
    SkipComputerBackup=YES
    SkipDeploymentType=YES
    SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    SkipUserData=YES
    SkipWizard=NO
    DeploymentType=NEWCOMPUTER
    DoNotCreateExtraPartition=YES
    KeyboardLocale=en-US
    OSInstall=YES
    UILanguage=en-US
    UserID=(redacted)
    UserLocale=en-US
    UserDomain=(redacted)
    UserPassword=(redacted)
    TimeZone=035
    TimeZoneName=Eastern Standard Time
    EventService=(redacted)

    [WW-STAFF-WINXP]
    _SMSTSORGNAME=%TaskSequenceName% on %OSDComputername%
    SkipTimeZone=NO
    SkipFinalSummary=NO
    FinishAction=REBOOT

    [TEST-WW-WIN7X86]
    _SMSTSORGNAME=WW Win7 Test Image on %OSDComputername%
    SkipTimeZone=NO
    SkipFinalSummary=NO
    FinishAction=REBOOT

    [WW-STAFF-WINXP-2]
    _SMSTSORGNAME=%TaskSequenceName% on %OSDComputername%
    SkipTimeZone=NO
    SkipFinalSummary=NO
    FinishAction=REBOOT

    [WW-CLASIMG-WINXP]
    _SMSTSORGNAME=%TaskSequenceName% on %OSDComputername%
    SkipTimeZone=NO
    SkipFinalSummary=NO
    FinishAction=REBOOT

    [WW-STAFF-WIN7X86]
    _SMSTSORGNAME=%TaskSequenceName% on %OSDComputername%
    SkipTimeZone=NO
    SkipFinalSummary=NO
    FinishAction=REBOOT

    [WW-STAFF-WIN7X64]
    _SMSTSORGNAME=%TaskSequenceName% on %OSDComputername%
    SkipTimeZone=NO
    SkipFinalSummary=NO
    FinishAction=REBOOT


    Thursday, January 30, 2014 1:52 PM

All replies

  • Check your task sequence, go the the "Gather" steps, there are three of them in the default standard client task sequence, and verify that instead of "Gather locally", "Use this file to process the rules" is checked, and provide the following text: CustomSettings.ini, do this on all the three steps, try again and let us know!

    Also not sure what happens, but I would definitely paste the TaskSequenceID specified rules above the Default section. I know that priority provides in which orders the rules needed to be processed, but still I would post them above Default.

    Cheers!


    If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

    Thursday, January 30, 2014 4:15 PM