Blank screen after login RRS feed

• Question

• I'm unable to "see" the screen after booting up and logging in. Here are the details:

1) Laptop went into "Scan disk" mode when powering up over the weekend. I may have requested it prior to powering it down, but had not booted it up for 10 days. Problems were detected and corrected (I didn't write down the file ID numbers, and the scan-disk was taking so long that I let it run unattended).

2) Now when logging in as a specific admin user ID, once the login screen goes away the screen goes blank. Disk activity appears to finish booting up correctly, but with no display. Connecting a 2nd monitor does not help.

3) By hitting Ctrl/Alt/Dlt, I get the option screen to pop up. Task Manager will come up, but does not have anything that I would consider a red-flag. Closing the option screen returns to the blank screen.

4) By logging in as a different admin user ID, the screen comes up normally with full access to all applications/files.

5) By booting up in Safe Mode using the "Bad user ID", I am able to get the display to come up "normally" (as normal as Safe Mode is).

6) I tried rolling back to a previous safe point, but it did not help or change the symptoms.

I'm guessing the scan-disk changed/removed a file critical to the screen display options. Any suggestions/ideas on where to start? This user ID is my personal ID, and I don't want to keep logging in as the Sys Admin.

Thanks,

Frank

Monday, October 20, 2008 8:06 PM

Answers

• Hi

The behavior you described indicates that there is a problem in a critical registry value.

Perform the following.

1. Click the Start Button and type  regedit.exe  in the Search Box.
    2. In the Results, right click  regedit.exe  and select the Run As Administrator option
    3. In the registry editor, navigate down to the following location.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

4.With the Winlogon key selected, look  In the right side pane for the 'Shell' value.
    5. Double click the Shell value to open the Modify dialog box.
    6. In the Data Value box, it should only contain  Explorer.exe  and nothing else.

If it is blank or contains any other text, change it to Explorer.exe and click OK.

Exit the registry editor.

Reboot to see the results.

Let us know the results.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Monday, December 8, 2008 5:48 AM

All replies

• Frank

Try logging in with the 'bad ID' again.

When the blank screen appears, press CTRL+ALT+DEL and start the Task Manager.

In the Task Manager, select File / New Task(RUN...).

Type Explorer.exe in the Open box and click OK.

Does this make the Desktop appear?

Let me know.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    • Proposed as answer by old_peter Friday, November 16, 2012 5:59 PM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:45 PM
  • Ronnie,

Sorry, I decided it was best to replace the drive (with a larger capacity drive) and re-install the OS and all my apps. With the (security?) errors that showed up on the CHKDSK run, I had to assume there were more hidden issues going on -- either a drive failing, or data corruption. I appreciate your reply, and will keep it in mind if/when I see this happening again.

Thanks,

Frank

Thursday, October 23, 2008 8:05 PM
  • Frank

I understand.

Thanks for letting us knowyou worked this out.

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 10:06 PM
  • Ronnie,

even i face the same issue. but the case is with all the user names. desktop come after i execute explorer.exe from task manager. but this i have to to every time i log off and login. please help me resolve the issue.

Monday, December 8, 2008 5:25 AM
  • Hi

The behavior you described indicates that there is a problem in a critical registry value.

Perform the following.

1. Click the Start Button and type  regedit.exe  in the Search Box.
    2. In the Results, right click  regedit.exe  and select the Run As Administrator option
    3. In the registry editor, navigate down to the following location.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

4.With the Winlogon key selected, look  In the right side pane for the 'Shell' value.
    5. Double click the Shell value to open the Modify dialog box.
    6. In the Data Value box, it should only contain  Explorer.exe  and nothing else.

If it is blank or contains any other text, change it to Explorer.exe and click OK.

Exit the registry editor.

Reboot to see the results.

Let us know the results.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, December 8, 2008 5:48 AM
  • Hi

Vista home premium
    I have been haveing the same problem. Have tried the registry and it was already set to explorer.exe.

any ohter tips most welcome

Cheers

John
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 2:15 PM
  • I  am using windows vista business , with all the user names. desktop come after i execute explorer.exe (even in safe mode) from task manager. but this i have to to every time i log off and login. please help me resolve the issue.

and when i entered regedit.exe in search section of windows as proposed above, the system restarted instead of searching for regedit.

please help

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 5:11 AM
  • My registry setting was already right, but starting explorer.exe from task manager got the computer usable again. I'm considering removing windows 8, since so far I see no benefits and significan annoyance.

Friday, November 16, 2012 6:01 PM
  • Ok I am on Windows 7 as of mid 2014 and now I have the same issue described.

The regedit suggestion: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon value=explorer.exe was already there and I change to add space then back to just the command - Have yet to reboot and try but highly doubt it will work.

Yes after reboots if I wait long enough after the black screen with movable curser/mouse I can execute Ctr-Alt-Del and bring task manager up and stop the explorer.exe and then enter new task to run explorer.exe and then the desktop comes up and no issues there forward until reboot.

The funny thing is we came back from holiday on 7/6/2015 we turned on the pc some time between then and 7/8/2015 as the security update from Microsoft was installed automatically by windows updater on 7/8 per the restore point created. (yes I did also tried to restore back to 7/8 and not luck) and then I rebooted after running virus and malware programs as normal (had then since 2014) and upon boot up I got the black screen with movable curser/mouse.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 12:06 AM