SteadyState, Steady for x64... no, seriously..? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Okay so I was checking into SteadyState and was pretty excited as there are a few people in the OCZ forums talking about what a wonderful performance boost it brings to the table for SSDs. Low and behold the well promoted, under-supported x64 issue arises. So, as I do every other time this comes up, I tripped and fell on some Orca which inadvertently dropped the Launch Condition table. Now I have the "Installation Successful" screen and I'm a little bit concerned as this software performs a bit more detailed operations than say, Zune.

I'm curious what the x64 situation might bring down upon me. I'm aware that sometimes forcing x64 support creates issues with registry and wow. I have a fresh backup but wanted to put this post out there in case anyone wants to join me.

On another note, WMI is mentioned throughout the handbook and read me. Anyway to replicate even a portion of this caching functionality? Okay, wish me luck...

Zac
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:38 AM

All replies

• The main issue with x64 support is that it requires a 64-bit version of the Windows Disk Protection driver.  There is no 64-bit version of that, so regardless of any MSI hacking, it is not possible to enable Windows Disk Protection on an x64 version of Windows.

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Friday, March 13, 2009 5:46 AM
  • Yeah I woke up with Windows 7 x86 installed. I spent a number of hours tonight trying to force install WDP but no luck. Something I did started displaying a message after rebooting. It stated the VCFCHK wasn't found although it is available in the programfiles\Windows SteadyState folder. Any ideas? I'm not worried about crash and burning, all my files are on shares.
    Friday, March 13, 2009 6:07 AM
  • It sounds like the install is corrupt for some reason.  I'd recommend using the SteadyState UI to disable WDP, reboot, then use the UI to enable it again.  
    Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 6:05 PM