Application user settings RRS feed

• Question

• Just a quick question?

If a user configures a virtaul application according to his prefered look and windows size. Will those settings follow him if he logs in to another machine?

TIA

cheers

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 10:32 AM

Answers

• If you want to change location that App-V uses to store user-specific settings, you can change it:

1. During App-V Client installation (called User Data Directory, in advanced settings screen of the installer)
    2. From Client Management Console's properties, on General -tab
    3. From the registry key of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\Client\Configuration and value UserDataDirectory

You have to change the value to something that resolves uniquely for all users, so you have to come up with how you represent's user's home directory (Documents folder, I presume) if that's what you want as it's not readily in any environment variable. Maybe something like %userprofile%\Documents ?

BUT, I would suggest that you do not place in user's documents directory as it contains data that user should not mess up with, and anything placed in Documents folder is, kind of by definition in Windows, user's messable property. So use %userprofile% or whatever instead, so that they cannot so easily bump into it. It's like those applications that save non-human readable data files in documents -folder without asking. It's *my* documents dammit, not application's! ;-)

br,
    Kalle
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 1:21 PM

All replies

• It depend if he has romming profile or not. ie where the user data directory points to.
    Say for example he has romming profile then yes those setting will follow him otherwise no.
    GNU developer by choice ....
    • Proposed as answer by Johri Mayank Wednesday, October 7, 2009 11:21 AM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 11:21 AM
  • By default, App-V Client stores cached virtual application settings for users under wherever %appdata% environment variable points to. So if you roam this (as default roaming profiles do already) folder, settings should move between machines.

/Kalle
    • Proposed as answer by Abstruse World Wednesday, October 7, 2009 4:01 PM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 12:54 PM
  • Thanks All,

Just brief,

How will you go about changing the %appdata% and where do you point it to?

Can you point this to the users home folder?

Cheers

Thursday, October 8, 2009 6:06 AM
  • If you want to change location that App-V uses to store user-specific settings, you can change it:

1. During App-V Client installation (called User Data Directory, in advanced settings screen of the installer)
    2. From Client Management Console's properties, on General -tab
    3. From the registry key of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\Client\Configuration and value UserDataDirectory

You have to change the value to something that resolves uniquely for all users, so you have to come up with how you represent's user's home directory (Documents folder, I presume) if that's what you want as it's not readily in any environment variable. Maybe something like %userprofile%\Documents ?

BUT, I would suggest that you do not place in user's documents directory as it contains data that user should not mess up with, and anything placed in Documents folder is, kind of by definition in Windows, user's messable property. So use %userprofile% or whatever instead, so that they cannot so easily bump into it. It's like those applications that save non-human readable data files in documents -folder without asking. It's *my* documents dammit, not application's! ;-)

br,
    Kalle
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 1:21 PM

• I am just trying to see what will best suit my environment.

Hot swapping desktops are a common occurrence, and I am trying to see how to migrate the application settings. Not a big fan of roaming profiles, but if this is the case then we will need to investigate further.

Friday, October 9, 2009 1:23 AM
  • Theoretically you could just roam (redirect) Application Data -folder [to network], but I think there has been mixed results for doing that. Also some programs may store information elsewhere in the system which does not get cached in the VE (i.e. in the App-V cached per-user settings) and if application roaming depends on those things, then..

/Kalle
    Friday, October 9, 2009 6:23 AM
  • If you use roaming profiles and/or place the UserDataDirectory on a home drive, you will want to ensure that a user cannot have more than one logon session at a time.  The user pkg files end up with a last close wins scenario and leads to confusion and possible data loss.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 4:58 PM