none
Protection against human errors in MSP2003 PWA task reporting? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We use MSP2003 Server. Our resources report their actual work and remaining work on a daily basis using PWA.

We discovered that, if a resource makes a mistake while reporting his actual work, and enters a too high value or enter it in the wrong line, then a task work value may be increased accordingly.

If the resource notices his error, he can correct the values before submitting his report, by entering correct actual work and by setting remaining work value so that work recovers its original value. But for that he needs to know the orginial work value, find the appropriate person who knows it, etc...

Sometimes the resource does not notice his error. Then, the project leader might miss the work value increase as well, if it is not too significant or if the project is complex.

Does it exist any way, in PWA 2003 :

- To perform some kind of 'undo' on entering actual values?

- To warn the resource when he is about to modify the work value, or to prevent him to do so?

Thanks,

Olivier

Friday, December 7, 2012 10:20 AM

All replies

• Not especially, but I would recommend simply taking a baseline, and then
    assessing the revised work estimates against the baseline.  Some of my clients
    take a baseline each week to do impact analysis on changes.   In fact, maybe
    you should just be reporting on the Baseline Work and not Work field.

The PM can also just watch the updates and reject them if they look wrong.

FWIW, this is by design.  If they enter more actual work than work, then
    we are trusting the resource to report what they've worked - and the system
    is updating the forecast to match what has been entered.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Friday, December 7, 2012 11:57 AM
  • Thanks for your answer.

But it is not really workable for us. A manual review (against baseline work) by the project leaders is not suitable in my case. We are precisely trying to lighten our project leaders management work.

I would rather expect some kind of basic check for human error within Web Access work reporting module.

Monday, December 10, 2012 2:34 PM