Export Import different forest RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am working in a company that will be disconnected from the mother company

they have exchange 2010 and the new company is about 200 users until now 

we plan to use exchange 2013 or 2010

1- will it works if I export the mailboxes from exchange 2010 in a forest and import it in our exchagne 2013/2010 in a different forest ? I think it will work but I couldn't find clear answer.

2- and if we move the mx record to the new server so the users will use the new Exchange server , so importing the emails later while they will have some new emails , will it overwrite the old emails or not ?

3- and if they have sub-folders the export will handle all subfolders and import them in the same place right ?

Thanks

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:42 AM

Answers

• 1. If you are exporting the mailbox to a pst file from exchange 2010, and importing into exchange 2013 will work 

for example..

New-MailboxImportRequest -Mailbox Rajkumar -FilePath \\SERVERName\PSTFiles\rajkumar.pst -TargetRootFolder "Recovery"

2. If you are changing the MX record to point to new exchange 2013.. and the users mailbox on exchange 2013 will continue to receive the new emails. it wont remove the imported emails from pst. imported emails will reside on the a different folder with its folder structure.

3.Folder structure on the pst will be maintained. Above command will import the pst on the folder Recovery and expanding the recovery folder shows all the subfolders as available in the pst.

• Proposed as answer by Zi Feng Wednesday, November 7, 2012 7:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Zi Feng Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:13 AM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 9:53 AM
  • The TargetRootFolder parameter specifies the top-level mailbox folder that the imported content is placed in. If you don't specify this parameter, the command imports folders to the top of the folder structure in the target mailbox or archive. If the folder already exists, content is merged under existing folders, and new folders are created if they don't already exist in the target folder structure.

for more information - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607310(v=exchg.150).aspx

• Marked as answer by Wael Schakaki Wednesday, November 7, 2012 7:12 AM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:00 PM

All replies

• 1. If you are exporting the mailbox to a pst file from exchange 2010, and importing into exchange 2013 will work 

for example..

New-MailboxImportRequest -Mailbox Rajkumar -FilePath \\SERVERName\PSTFiles\rajkumar.pst -TargetRootFolder "Recovery"

2. If you are changing the MX record to point to new exchange 2013.. and the users mailbox on exchange 2013 will continue to receive the new emails. it wont remove the imported emails from pst. imported emails will reside on the a different folder with its folder structure.

3.Folder structure on the pst will be maintained. Above command will import the pst on the folder Recovery and expanding the recovery folder shows all the subfolders as available in the pst.

• Proposed as answer by Zi Feng Wednesday, November 7, 2012 7:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Zi Feng Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:13 AM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 9:53 AM
  • Thanks for your reply

Can I import to the user without TargetRootFoler ? so the folders and his emails still in the same places with all subfolders ?

and in point two i mean vice verse , if the user is receiving email then we import emails to them without TargetRootFolder , it should not overwrite the previous email but just to make sure it will merge the new emails with the imported email right ?

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 1:44 PM
  • The TargetRootFolder parameter specifies the top-level mailbox folder that the imported content is placed in. If you don't specify this parameter, the command imports folders to the top of the folder structure in the target mailbox or archive. If the folder already exists, content is merged under existing folders, and new folders are created if they don't already exist in the target folder structure.

for more information - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607310(v=exchg.150).aspx

• Marked as answer by Wael Schakaki Wednesday, November 7, 2012 7:12 AM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:00 PM