none
Multi Exchange 2013 servers over VPN in same forest using shared name spacing.

Question

• Hi Guys,

Hope this is possible but lets see shall we...

I've currently taken a role where I am administering an Academy of schools. Each school has a VPN connection back to our main site. So just to picture this, Site A (Main Central Site) has VPN connections to each other site (B, C and D). B, C and D ONLY connect to Site A. Each site is in the same AD domain and also in the same forest.

So I would like to place a Exchange server at each site so if our internet goes down they can still have access to their emails. They will all be using the same domain (consoto.com just for explanation sake). How do I go about this and setting routing and so on up. I will be using Server 2012 and Exchange 2013 (more than likely will be Server 2016 and Exchange 2016 by the time I have every thing ready).

Thanks in advance.

Friday, October 9, 2015 4:04 PM

Answers

• Although you've apparently decided on a solution, let me suggest to you that you can have pretty much what you've asked for without servers at every site.  Outlook users using cached mode will have downloaded all their e-mail at the point of failure so they'd have access to everything locally on their machines.

Your solution won't help much unless you plan to route e-mail into all sites, and that could be complicated to set up, and might even require you to set up separate e-mail domains for each site.  If you have contoso.com pointed to the mail site, if the Internet goes down, all mail will queue until it's back up.  So you'd need to have at least a secondary MX record pointing to at least one of the other sites.

I would also think that it would be a lot less costly to install a backup Internet connection at the main site than to deploy and maintain separate servers in each site.

Having said all of that, I don't see a question in your post.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Saturday, October 10, 2015 12:15 AM

All replies

• Although you've apparently decided on a solution, let me suggest to you that you can have pretty much what you've asked for without servers at every site.  Outlook users using cached mode will have downloaded all their e-mail at the point of failure so they'd have access to everything locally on their machines.

Your solution won't help much unless you plan to route e-mail into all sites, and that could be complicated to set up, and might even require you to set up separate e-mail domains for each site.  If you have contoso.com pointed to the mail site, if the Internet goes down, all mail will queue until it's back up.  So you'd need to have at least a secondary MX record pointing to at least one of the other sites.

I would also think that it would be a lot less costly to install a backup Internet connection at the main site than to deploy and maintain separate servers in each site.

Having said all of that, I don't see a question in your post.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Saturday, October 10, 2015 12:15 AM
  • Many thanks for your reply.

Sorry for the confusion over the question, let me clear a few things up. The only problem that I will have with cached mode is that I cannot achieve this as all students have a mandatory profile and are always roaming around the school. At the school we already have 2 50Mb lease lines that are in active-active mode along with 2 firewalls for redundancy. As for this I would put an MX record on both of the lease lines again for redundancy.

So here's the question. If all emails are coming to my central site, how can I route the emails to Mailbox server that is holding the recipients mailbox? All sites are using the same name space and all in the same Active Directory Forest and Domain.

Thanks

Saturday, October 10, 2015 1:36 PM
  • You don't have to worry about routing if you have network connectivity everywhere the messages flow and all Exchange servers are in the same organization.  I'm just pointing out that placing a server in every site won't necessarily give you everything you want unless you properly design redundancy of all components.

Saturday, October 10, 2015 8:34 PM