SS v2.5 - won't restart after log off RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi!

I downloaded and installed steady state v2.5 on XP SP3 with IE 7.  I notice that when I lock down the user account and set it to logoff after 10 mins, and then check the box to restart after logoff, the restart never occurs.  It logs off then right back into the user account.  I've have it setup for the account to automatically logon as these will be general internet kiosks.

Any assistance would be very helpful!  Reason I installed sp3 was I was getting the message stating the pc did not shutdown properly and prompting how to restart..... With the windows updates set to install each night I thought that since sp3 was in Windows update and requires interaction it was causing the issue.  Since the install of sp3 and ie 7 I have not seen that issue, but have encountered this reboot issue as stated above.

Any suggestions would be great!

Kim

Monday, July 7, 2008 4:25 PM

Answers

• for my restricted user I have it check that on log off to reboot.  So when the user clicks logoff at the bottom (as I removed shutdown option) by clicking start, logoff.  It logs off but never initiates the reboot.  This was working with 2.0 version, haven't tested 2.5 with XP SP2 to see if it's a conflict with sp3.  However, when the idle timer expires, it forces a log off, and the reboot is also initiated as well.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 1:18 PM

All replies

• I set the idle to 15 mins to logoff, and checked the reboot on logoff.  This works if it's left alone.  But if the user clicks start, logoff, it doesn't reboot, it only autologs back in.  Is this a bug of some sort with XP SP3 and SS2.5? 

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 6:58 PM
  •  

Hi Kim, do you mean go back to Welcome Screen?  I have tested this on my test machine and the system restarts after I log off the restriced user.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 6:33 AM
  • for my restricted user I have it check that on log off to reboot.  So when the user clicks logoff at the bottom (as I removed shutdown option) by clicking start, logoff.  It logs off but never initiates the reboot.  This was working with 2.0 version, haven't tested 2.5 with XP SP2 to see if it's a conflict with sp3.  However, when the idle timer expires, it forces a log off, and the reboot is also initiated as well.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 1:18 PM
  • I'm having the same issue.

Version 2.0 worked just fine - computer restarted after user logged out - now they're just brought back to the logon screen instead. 

However, the computer does restart as soon as someone tries to log in again.

Help?

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:23 PM
  • i noticed that too.  it will sometimes reboot when you go to login if you hit log off.  sporadic though.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 2:06 PM
  • No answer, more questions.

Have the extact problem.  It does work some time.

The Setup:

- WinXP w/ SP3 and IE7, not in Domain
    - SteadyState 2.5 (GUI ver. 5.1.2600.4364)
    - Using Welcome Screen
    - Using XP style menu (2-col menu w/ "real" Logoff and Shutdown at lower-right)
    - No "-Logoff- " shortcut under the "All Programs" menu after SS2.5 install

Symptom:

when user click the Logoff button to logoff, Welcome screen will show up, and "Saving settings..." and "Logging off..." messages will show.  Oddly, almost 1-2 out of 10 times, "Shutting down..." will show right afterwards and then the machine will reboot (This is what we want it to do.).

However, most of the time, the "Shutting down..." message will not show, and the Welcome screen will go back to the "log in mode" with the user account/icon list.  Then, when you try to log in again, (either with the public account or using the Admin acccount by Ctrl-Atl-Del twice), the word "Welcome" will turn to a giant "please wait...", and the restart process will begin.

Question:

I understand the "-Logoff-" shortcut will always work, but like many others, I prefer to use the "real" Logoff button.

What I like to know is how SteadyState is executing the reboot process when the "real" Logoff button is clicked.  Is it through a log off script in GP or through some type of service?  In any case, that process does not get started correctly most of the time.

I hope members of the develop team is monitoring this thread and can give me some insight on the process.
    Friday, October 3, 2008 10:58 PM
  • Hi,

What I like to know is how SteadyState is executing the reboot process when the "real" Logoff button is clicked.  Is it through a log off script in GP or through some type of service?  In any case, that process does not get started correctly most of the time.

To answer your question, the restart is initiated by a service in response to a user logoff notification.

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState

Sunday, October 5, 2008 4:57 AM
  • Hi all,

Question... are all of you using autologon to log the restricted user on automatically?  Does anyone have trouble with the machine not restarting as expected *without* using autologon?

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Sunday, October 5, 2008 4:58 AM
  • I experience trouble with the machine not restarting as expected, regardless of the autologon settings.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:41 AM