none
Adding multiple URLs to Use Policy List of Internet Explorer 7 sites GPO setting. RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to add multiple URLs to compatibility view list policy setting instead of one at a time?
    Sunday, February 1, 2015 3:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• Monday, February 2, 2015 3:05 AM
  • Yes, I know about using Enterprise Mode.  Its better at adding multiple sites.  We use that as well.  Still, there is no way to add multiple sites to the Compatibility View list in a GPO.

Thursday, February 5, 2015 2:43 PM
  • Hi,

Did you use Windows XP system? Internet Explorer 7 supports has ended. I would like to suggest you update your browser to Internet Explorer 8 or later. It's better to update your system.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 6, 2015 11:40 AM
  • Yes, we are using IE 11. The Group Policy setting is titled: "Use Policy List of Internet Explorer 7 sites".  It refers to the fact that Compatibility View will render a website in IE 7 mode which allows an older website to be viewed on the screen properly.   I'm looking for a better way to add multiple websites at once to this setting list instead of one at a time.
    Friday, February 6, 2015 8:09 PM
  • As far as I'm aware, this policy setting (like many classic settings) is written into the registry.pol file (which is a single binary file containing all such settings), so it's not readily editable without using the gpedit or gpmc tools.

the GUI for gpedit/gpmc doesn't offer any opportunity to automate, but you may be able to configure equivalent compatibility outcomes by using Enterprise Mode.
    The latest updates for IE11 and the EMIE Site List Manager, now allow you to specify a document mode to apply, including IE7 docmode - maybe this would suit your scenario?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/11/11/announcing-improvements-to-the-enterprise-mode-site-list.aspx

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Saturday, February 7, 2015 11:15 AM
  • The policy settings are in Registry.pol file, but not recommended to edit them. The way our IT environment is setup, I don't have access and would not want to edit these files anyway.

Enterprise Mode is a better solution for this and we do run that as well.  Unfortunately for this situation we need to add to the Compatibility View list.

Monday, February 9, 2015 8:04 PM
  • Hi,

Why didn't you use it add the list? Open the group policy editor and enable it like this:

And then you could export the related registries and import to other computers which have the same version of Internet Explorer to take effect.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\BrowserEmulation\PolicyList
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\BrowserEmulation\PolicyList

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 9:54 AM
  • Karen, Thanks for the feedback.  Unfortunately I still have to first input all the websites to populate the list in order to use the registry entries.  The GPO setting will do the same thing you are suggesting, but still I have to create the list.

Thursday, February 12, 2015 9:06 PM
  • So, I don't know of a way to batch/bulk/script update the CV list item.

But, I'm very curious (mainly because I may have to solve a similar challenge myself very soon), what is it that CV does for you that EM won't do for you?

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Thursday, February 12, 2015 9:38 PM
  • DonPick, The reason I need to use CV is political rather then practical.  The group is not tech savy and is familiar with the CV list.  They are also adding their own web sites manually to the CV list and they like how they can see the sites they have added manually to their own CV and manage them.  I tried to sell the EM list to them because I wanted it to be easier for me to manage, but the manager of the group refused.   I'm hoping in future releases of IE that the CV list will disappear and an enhanced version of EM will replace it, combining features from CV into EM.
    Friday, February 13, 2015 4:03 PM
  • DonPick, The reason I need to use CV is political rather then practical.  The group is not tech savy and is familiar with the CV list.  They are also adding their own web sites manually to the CV list and they like how they can see the sites they have added manually to their own CV and manage them.  I tried to sell the EM list to them because I wanted it to be easier for me to manage, but the manager of the group refused.   I'm hoping in future releases of IE that the CV list will disappear and an enhanced version of EM will replace it, combining features from CV into EM.

Ah. I may not have that battle myself then - I have never configured/deployed CV list data by GP.
    I intend to offer a managed EMIE list, using EMSLM, so I shouldn't find myself in the same bind as you. (sorry to be selfish ;)

Have you read this article by Chris Jackson?
    He writes that CV isn't gone yet, and why, but also that he is lobbying internally to have EM offer "more".

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/cjacks/archive/2014/12/31/can-the-ie-enterprise-mode-site-list-replace-compatibility-view.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/cjacks/archive/2014/08/11/ie11-enterprise-mode-and-compatibility-view-are-additive-not-exclusive.aspx

Using EMIE, and the "crowd sourcing" (collect the EM logging, and then decide about adding to the EM list), probably still won't give your users what they seem to want (viewing the site list via the IE UI)..

Don

Friday, February 13, 2015 11:49 PM