how to get rid of old exchange servers? RRS feed

• Question

• We have several old exchange server names in the Exchange interface. These are old exchange servers. One was the original exchange and the other was a secondary exchange server. Both these computers are turned off and not being used. The exchange works find. However I can see that mail from the good working exchange keeps trying to send mail to the old servers and (it seems gives up after a while).

Anyway when I click on one of the old servers and try to delete it the following message comes up.

Exchange System Manager

Use this task only if the server you are attempting to remove cannot be brought online. If the server is functional and has a public folder store, delete the public folder store first and then use Add or Remove Programs in the control panel to remove the server . If you do not follow the recommended procedure , you may lose mailbox and public folder data. You may also lose essential functionality such as Offline Address Book generation and Free/Busy.

Are you sure you want to remove the Microsoft Exchange server 'EX1'

The question is, can I delete the EX1, without any issues. I mean this comptuer EX1 does not exist on the network.

Thanks.

Saturday, July 6, 2013 9:25 AM

Answers

• Rich,

How can I verify that this info is in the replica and how do I remove it.

Regards

You can use the "Get-Publicfolder" cmdlet. The information returned from that includes the list of replics servers tor each folder in the "Replicas" property.

You can remove a replica server from all you public folders by using the RemoveReplicaFromPFRecursive.ps1 script in the $EXSCRIPTS directory.

Even after you've removed the server from the replicas list you may still have e-mail to the old server for hierarchy replication. If the server with the public folder store isn't able to be brought on-line so you can uninstall the Exchange software (that's the preferred way to do it since it cleans up all the other stuff in the AD that needs removing) you may be able to delete the machine using the Exchange 2003 ESM. If not, you'll have to remove the public folder store using ADSIEDIT.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

• Proposed as answer by wendy_liu Friday, July 12, 2013 5:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by wendy_liu Sunday, July 14, 2013 1:40 AM
    Sunday, July 7, 2013 3:01 PM

All replies

• Since you mention "Exchange System Manager", it looks like we're dealing with E2K3.

Just a quick preliminary question: where do you see that mail is still being sent (or an attempt is made) to the old server(s)?

1. Can you turn the server(s) back on? Best course of action (if possible) is to do what is suggested:

1.a delete Public Folder store

1.b Remove E2K3 in Add/Remove Programs

2. Did you perform the migration from E2K3 to whatever you have now? E2K7? E2K10?

There's a number of operations to perform in such a migration and I'll assume you done most if not all since you say your messaging system functions just fine with the E2K3 server(s) off (except for the attempt to send mail to them).

In summary (very rough summary):

A. Select different server for OAB generation?

B. Move mailboxes?

C. Move public folders?

Does that sound familiar?

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Saturday, July 6, 2013 2:27 PM
  • Since you mention "Exchange System Manager", it looks like we're dealing with E2K3.

Just a quick preliminary question: where do you see that mail is still being sent (or an attempt is made) to the old server(s)?

1. Can you turn the server(s) back on? Best course of action (if possible) is to do what is suggested:

1.a delete Public Folder store

1.b Remove E2K3 in Add/Remove Programs

2. Did you perform the migration from E2K3 to whatever you have now? E2K7? E2K10?

There's a number of operations to perform in such a migration and I'll assume you done most if not all since you say your messaging system functions just fine with the E2K3 server(s) off (except for the attempt to send mail to them).

In summary (very rough summary):

A. Select different server for OAB generation?

B. Move mailboxes?

C. Move public folders?

Does that sound familiar?

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

The e-mail is probably public folder traffic. If the old server(s) weren't uninstalled their public folder database is probably still in the replica list of one (or more) folders.

Removing the server (or trying to remove the public folder store) won't work until there are no longer any instances in the old server's public folder database.

Sunday, July 7, 2013 1:45 AM
  • Thank you for your response.

No I cannot turn the servers back on. They are gone. The system I'm maintaining is one that I inherited at the organization. So I have some knowledge of what has gone on in the past but not what processes took place to get to this. point specifically.

There has been no migration. There are two old exchanges listed. One was a server that crashed and was moved to new hardware with a new name. The other was a backup exchange server. It was running in parallel with the current exchange, but it is no longer, it is gone. 

Here is some additional info to try to answer your questions ..

When I look at the Queues for the active Exchange server I see a list of items in the Queues.
    All fairly normal I think. It starts with DSN mesages... but note the second line and the last line.
    These are the servers that I dont want any more.  I have listed the complete line and separated each item with a - . Please note that server1 has 43 messages. 

------------------

DSN messages pending submission- SMTP -Default SMTP Virtual Server -Ready -0 -0 -Yes
    oldmail.server1.mydomain.com -SMTP -Default SMTP Virtual -Retry -43 -46 -6/20/2013 -No
    etc
    etc
    SMTP Mailbox Store (oldmail.server2) -X400 -Exchange -MIA -Active -0 -0 -No

----------------

I can't see what is in the messages (I wish I could) but I can see the sender and receiver.

The sender is OurCurrentExchange-IS@ourdomain.com and the recipient is OurOldExchagne-IS@ourdomain.com

I say all of this to try to answer your question as to where all the mail was being sent. The queues seem to change for this old server. I have seen it go as high as 150 I think. Although where the mail or what the mail is I dont know. (its like its trying to call home). On interesting point is that most of the queues have a little folder with a green arrow on it. BUT Server1 has a folder with a red little arrow on it. When I highlight it, at the bottom of the window it says "Destination Server does not exist" well its right. And for the other server that does not exist Server2 it is just a folder, no arrow or anything on it.

By the way yes this is Exchagne 2003 eg 5.6 I think is the number. Sorry. These news groups i find confusing I thought I posted in the 2003 group.

I hope I have given enough info to continue debugging my situation.

One individual I spoke with said you can just delete these servers and be done with it.  I just dont want to make a mistake. 

Regards

Sunday, July 7, 2013 11:47 AM
  • Rich,

Regards

Sunday, July 7, 2013 11:49 AM
  • Rich,

Regards

You can use the "Get-Publicfolder" cmdlet. The information returned from that includes the list of replics servers tor each folder in the "Replicas" property.

You can remove a replica server from all you public folders by using the RemoveReplicaFromPFRecursive.ps1 script in the $EXSCRIPTS directory.

Even after you've removed the server from the replicas list you may still have e-mail to the old server for hierarchy replication. If the server with the public folder store isn't able to be brought on-line so you can uninstall the Exchange software (that's the preferred way to do it since it cleans up all the other stuff in the AD that needs removing) you may be able to delete the machine using the Exchange 2003 ESM. If not, you'll have to remove the public folder store using ADSIEDIT.

• Proposed as answer by wendy_liu Friday, July 12, 2013 5:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by wendy_liu Sunday, July 14, 2013 1:40 AM
    Sunday, July 7, 2013 3:01 PM