none
"The Group Policy Service Failed the Logon...." error after removing Desktop from Domain RRS feed

• Question

• I run a Domain Controller in my home.  I recently removed my desktop from the domain hoping to fix a problem I was having with a WMC extender holding a connection.   However, when I did this I was unable to logon. 

At first, it still required me to enter both the username and the password.  Then, I reboot it again and it provided the username "desktop_local" as the only option for me.  I think this is partially based on my computer name which is desktop.  Anyway, I believe I know the password.  however, when I enter it it gives this error.

"The Group Policy Service Failed the logon.  Access is Denied."

I'm pretty sure I can fix the problem by doing a system restore with the windows disk, but I want to know what caused all this so I can remove my desktop from my domain without fear of it happening again.

Zach

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 5:27 PM

Answers

• Do you have a local account when you remove the computer from the domain? If not, that is the root cause.

You need to create a local account for local log on. To do so, boot in Safe Mode and log on with the build-in Administrator account. Then create an local account.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:56 AM

All replies

• Wow, no replies after a day.  I guess this is pretty complicated.  anyway, I think what might have happened is i might have dissabled the local Admin account and ended up with no local accounts on the machine.  When I looked up the registry location of HKLM/software/microsoft/WindowsNT/profilelist (think I missed some there) it only showed three profiles.  None of which appeared to be a none system profile (one system, one networking, and one was something else).  Therefore, the registry fix I found online won't work.

Second, I get the recovery method to recognize my OS install because I can't seem to get the necessary drivers installed.  I'll work on it a bit more, but I think I might be screwed.  I might just be having to rebuild up from scratch.  Fortunately for me I've got my HD partitioned.

Any more thoughts on this?

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:05 PM
  • Do you have a local account when you remove the computer from the domain? If not, that is the root cause.

You need to create a local account for local log on. To do so, boot in Safe Mode and log on with the build-in Administrator account. Then create an local account.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:56 AM