Backing up two computers to one drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have an O365 account and would like to back up 2 PCs to it. But in a specific way.

My main PC (PC1) is set to backup to one drive so it syncs desktop, docs, pics with it - that's fine, but I do not want the second PC to sync in the same way, in other words I do not want the data from PC1 to appear on PC2 and vice versa.

For PC2 I just want to backup a couple of specific folders to the one drive and keep them completely separate to the backup of PC1 ideally if I can prevent the backups of PC1 and PC2 being accessible in anyway from the other PC that would be even better.

Any suggestions?

Tuesday, March 3, 2020 12:27 PM

All replies

• Hi, Microkid2018,

According to your description, you goal is to make 2 PC has isolated OneDrive libraries to store their own files.

First just a bit clarification, OneDrive permission works on your account. In other words, let's say you use account A to sync files from PC 1 to OneDrive libraries, as long as you still use that account A, no matter which PC you use, you will be able to see the files synced to OneDrive from PC1 if you log in OneDrive as A. That is a basic concept of OneDrive as you can work anywhere with your files. And even another team member use the same PC, not using the account A will provide him/her no access to your files.

I assume you are trying to block access from end users to certain sensitive files. And the PC2 is a machine used by many users. The recommended way is manage permission work on the files and users' accounts. Stop sharing sensitive files to those accounts. If that is your final goal please let me know, i will try to provide more information about this as this is quite a general admin topic and need to know a bunch of ideas of managing permission. 

If that is not your scenario and you simply stick to the goal described in the post with a simple way, here is a workaround: Use one more O365 account. So we have O365 account A and B, and you control both of them. In PC1, you log in OneDrive as A and in PC2 you log in as B. A and B has separate OneDrive space. When you use PC2 (In OneDrive, log in as B ), you will not be able to see any files in PC1 as they are synced to OneDrive belong to user A, as long as you do not share files between A and B, vice versa. If you do not share files to any other accounts, and not using the two accounts to log in OneDrive in other machines, the backups will not be accessible from other PCs. All you need to do is hold the two account and not let anyone else know them. Also remember never share files to others. 

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Proposed as answer by Michael Han6 Monday, March 9, 2020 8:55 AM
    Wednesday, March 4, 2020 3:04 AM
  • Hi, Microkid2018,

Does the option I provide fits your task? Do you have any progress on it?

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, March 11, 2020 9:06 AM