none
Upgrading a 2008 R2 DC in a remote site to 2012 R2

Question

• Hello!

I have already created a new 2012 R2 PDC in our forest and migrated the FSMO roles over to the 2012 R2 server. The forest functional level is still 2008 R2 and the domain functional level is 2008 R2. I understand that that the functional level cannot be raised until I upgrade all DCs to 2012 R2.  

I have six sites with a single 2008 R2 DC. The DC has the following services for the site:
    DHCP
    AD DNS
    DFS (1 single replicated folder)
    Print Services
    File Services

The C:\ drive is 80GB and the data drive is 840GB. (I didn't build this server)

Can I do an in-place upgrade? I think I'm going to need to move at least 60GB from the data drive to the C:\ drive.
    Is this feasible without crazy partitioning tools or should I just demote the DC, wipe the C:\ drive and start fresh?

Brian Gowdey Network Administrator Methods Machine Tools, Inc.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 6:23 PM

Answers

• I'd definitely go with option 2 but also add in there to patch it fully before adding roles back on to it. Option 1. is risky plus the potential for existing corruption carry-forward.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Brian Gowdey Wednesday, May 16, 2018 2:45 PM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 2:32 PM

All replies