How to Migrate the 12 Hives to new server in new farm RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

How could I migrate the 12 hives to new folder ??

Are there specific folder I just copy/past or I just copy everything and override the original ?

Thank you

• Changed type AhmedBakr Monday, March 2, 2015 10:39 AM
    Monday, March 2, 2015 9:25 AM

Answers

• My first question would be why? Any customizations, hopefully, should be in .wsp format.

Assuming you have manually copied files into the hive folder and are looking to get them to the new server, copying the whole hive across is a really bad idea. What I have done in this situation (more than once) is to use a differencing app such as Notepad++ (with plugins) or WinMerge (my personal fave).

1) Copy the hive from the source server to a temp folder on the destination server

2) Use one of the apps above to compare the two directory structures

3) Copy across just the missing files from the source folder to the destination hive

By doing it this way you ensure you don't damage your fresh clean hive on the new server, and you should be able to get across the manual customizations you need.

Good luck!

-Corey

• Edited by Corey Burke Monday, March 2, 2015 9:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by AhmedBakr Monday, March 2, 2015 10:39 AM
    Monday, March 2, 2015 9:36 AM

All replies

• My first question would be why? Any customizations, hopefully, should be in .wsp format.

Assuming you have manually copied files into the hive folder and are looking to get them to the new server, copying the whole hive across is a really bad idea. What I have done in this situation (more than once) is to use a differencing app such as Notepad++ (with plugins) or WinMerge (my personal fave).

1) Copy the hive from the source server to a temp folder on the destination server

2) Use one of the apps above to compare the two directory structures

3) Copy across just the missing files from the source folder to the destination hive

By doing it this way you ensure you don't damage your fresh clean hive on the new server, and you should be able to get across the manual customizations you need.

Good luck!

-Corey

• Edited by Corey Burke Monday, March 2, 2015 9:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by AhmedBakr Monday, March 2, 2015 10:39 AM
    Monday, March 2, 2015 9:36 AM
  • I exported WSP file using powershell but when I tried to restore it - showed missing assembly dlls - I also suspect that there are extra modification on this directory since I work at poorly documented environment and I don't really know about past modification that much

I will test your method and will be back with respond

Monday, March 2, 2015 9:52 AM