need to change damaged motherboard RRS feed

• Question

• I need to replace my motherboard it is damaged  , will I still be able to  activate my copy of windows seven pro ?  I will also have to reformat and reinstall windows 7 (different  chipset)
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 3:24 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If you are having an OEM Version of Windows 7 you can't change it to a new hardware (Motherboard). You can do it only if you have a Retail version of Windows 7

Regards from www.windowsadmin.info [If this answer helps you to resolve the issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. This will help others to find the answers faster]
    ManuPhilip
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:21 AM
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:01 AM
  • If you change the motherboard, you'd need to use the telephone activation option to reactivate the install. You can contact Microsoft Activation Center or find the telephone numbers for worldwide activation centers.

Best Regards
    Dale
    • Proposed as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, January 4, 2010 2:05 AM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 2:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you are having an OEM Version of Windows 7 you can't change it to a new hardware (Motherboard). You can do it only if you have a Retail version of Windows 7

Regards from www.windowsadmin.info [If this answer helps you to resolve the issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. This will help others to find the answers faster]
    ManuPhilip
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:01 AM
  • If you change the motherboard, you'd need to use the telephone activation option to reactivate the install. You can contact Microsoft Activation Center or find the telephone numbers for worldwide activation centers.

Best Regards
    Dale
    • Proposed as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, January 4, 2010 2:05 AM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 2:03 AM
  • thank you for your help , i did everything and   activated fine  appreciate your  help everyone   most appreciated

Thursday, January 7, 2010 5:40 PM