MSI Install inside a bubble. RRS feed

• Question

• I have an odd app situation (bad vendor design).  The main app gets installed first.  It must then be opened and configured for that individual user.  Then a second app installs which contains user specific logic. The second app requires the InstallShield scripting engine.  To deal with this I put the second msi and a shortcut inside the first apps package.

Creating the package:

1. start sequence
    2. install vendor main app
    3. Install InstallShield scripting engine
    4. copy second app MSI to Q:\AppFolder
    5. Create a start menu shortcut that launches the second app's MSI.
    6. end sequence

Testing the package:

1. on a test machine, the package installs without a problem
    2. The main app opens OK, and I can create the user customizations.
    3. I launch the shortcut that tries to install the second MSI and it reports it can't find the InstallShield scripting (ISS)engine. 
    4. I manually install a non-virtual ISS on my test machine
    5. try the second app again, this time no ISS error.  BUT...
    6. reports an error that it can't find the main app's user data that I created in step 2.

So in short:  The MSI inside the bubble seems unable to find virtual resources. First it can't find the virtualized ISS and then it can't find the main app's data.  Both of these should have been identified through the virtual registry.   Any thoughts on why this would happen?

Friday, October 10, 2008 5:26 PM

Answers

• Is ISS working similiar to Windows Installer where there's actually both user processes and processes run in the local system's context? If so, that could explain it as any processes it starts/accesses from outside the bubble won't be able to see your virtual resources..

/Kalle

• Proposed as answer by znack Friday, May 28, 2010 9:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:46 PM
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:31 AM

All replies

• Is ISS working similiar to Windows Installer where there's actually both user processes and processes run in the local system's context? If so, that could explain it as any processes it starts/accesses from outside the bubble won't be able to see your virtual resources..

/Kalle

• Proposed as answer by znack Friday, May 28, 2010 9:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:46 PM
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:31 AM
  •  

MSI service can not be called from within the Sequncer thus it will be advied to install ISS engine on the local machine
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 2:07 PM