none
Single computer always goes through managed software installs on every bootup

Question

• As the title says, we have a single computer on a domain that seems to go through the Software Installations policy every single time the computer boots up. Instead of realising that the software is already installed, it goes through all of them again, every single time - resulting in very long boot times (upwards of 15-20 minutes).

This only appears to happen on a single computer on the domain - other computers are inside of the same OU with the same policies being applied correctly (that is, they install the managed software once, but do not keep installing every single boot up after that). Event Viewer shows that there is MsiInstaller events that seem to be the software packages being installed - I can't find any reason why they would keep being done every time the computer starts though.

Any help here would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Monday, October 10, 2016 11:29 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,
    In this case, you could have a try to exclude this client from software installation GPO and see if it helps. Regarding how to exclude individual client from a Group Policy Object, you could refer to the details step by step from the following article:
    http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2010/05/how-to-exclude-individual-users-or-computers-from-a-group-policy-object/
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    In addition, I would suggest you use script to install software via GPO, the script can be designed to check the registry or WMI and see if the Application is already installed. If it is installed then the process will be skipped. Here is a proposed script which could be used with Startup/Logon GPO, please refer to: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/PowerShell-to-Install-70009e38
    And you could check the following thread which discussed a similar problem:
    https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/483617-software-installation-gpo-to-only-install-once
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 3:49 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion!

It turns out (I believe - still waiting on the test from the end users on the machine) that after looking in Event Viewer, two software packages were failing to install (under the MsiInstaller logs I mentioned in the OP... I was just being blind and didn't see the error ones somehow).

I have since separated the packages into their own GPO to be applied to a subset of computers in a security group that actually needs them (they were being applied to an OU that wasn't specific enough). This excludes the affected machine - so it should work now.

Marking as answer. :)

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 8:56 AM
  • Hi,
    Appreciate for your update and feedback, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 1:55 AM