locked
Windows 7 x64 RC setup success on Gigabyte EX58-UD3R RRS feed

  • General discussion

  • After many trials to get Windows 7 x64 RC installed on my new rig, I finally succeeded today. I always encountered the same result during the setup, and it went like this:

    - Boot to setup DVD
    - Windows setup initializes and the logo screen appears
    - After 20 minutes or so at the logo screen, the desktop wallpaper appears
    - After several more minutes, the language settings screen appears
    - At the next screen, click Install Windows
    - At next screen, select the target partition
    - At the Install Windows screen, the "Expanding Windows files..." step would get to 3% after 15 minutes or so, then the installation errored out with this message:

    "The wrong volume is in the drive. Please insert volume GRC1CULXFRER_EN_DVD INTO DRIVE D:."

    When I began having setup failures, I removed all but the bare essential hardware. Here's what I installed on:

    Mobo: Gigabyte EX58-Ud3R
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2.66Ghz
    RAM: 2GB
    Video: Diamond Radeon HD4870
    HDD: Western Digital Green SATA2 500GB
    DVD: Sony DVD-RW (older IDE drive. don't know the model right now)

    BIOS config:
    - Load fail-safe defaults
    - Disable floppy controller
    - Set boot device priority to CDROM, Hard Drive

    Despite the hardware config above, I still encountered the same setup failure. The magic bullet for me was to change how the DVD drive connected to the mobo. The drive is an old IDE drive, but I had connected it to a SATA2 channel with an IDE/SATA adapter. Removing the adapter and connecting directly to the IDE channel on the mobo did the trick. I was able to install Windows, put all my hardware back in, and update the video and audio drivers.

    After getting this all setup, I switched the DVD connection back to using the IDE/SATA adapter, but it seemed to cause havoc on the drive controller. Windows would still run otherwise normally, but couldn't read the DVD drive. I also saw extreme slowdown while running Windows Update. I switched back to direct IDE connection and all seems normal now. Windows can read the DVD drive and Windows Update operated normally.

    This is my final configuration:

    Mobo: Gigabyte EX58-Ud3R
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2.66Ghz
    RAM: 6GB
    Video: Diamond Radeon HD4870
    HDD: Western Digital Green SATA2 500GB
    DVD: Sony DVD-RW (older IDE drive. don't know the model right now)
    Audio: SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

    BIOS config:
    - Load optimal defaults
    - Disable floppy controller
    - Set boot device priority to CDROM, Hard Drive


    PS - The RealTek Ethernet driver on Windows Update caused the device to fail to start and I had to roll back to previous version (the one that installed with Windows). I experienced the same behavior with the Windows Update version of the driver for this same hardware on Windows XP SP3. I recommend not installing the Realtek driver from Windows Update.

    Friday, May 29, 2009 5:31 PM

All replies

  • See my signature below.  I have an "older" Gigabyte motherboard.

    Had no problems with installing Windows 7 RC 7100 didn't have to tweak the BIOS at all other than enabling the HPET (probably didn't even need HPET...I think the HPET is used for Hibernate and Sleep functions with Vista and Windows 7, something I have no use for.  I just enabled the HPET to stop seeing those System>HAL errors/warnings in the Event Viewer).

    Had no problems with installing the RealTek NIC drivers from Windows Updates either.  In fact, I did the same thing while XP Pro SP3 was up and running...no problems.


    GA P35 DQ6 Mb, Intel Wolfdale 8600 3.33Ghz C2D CPU., 4x2Gb Mushkin DDR2 1066 PC2 8500 Ascents Memory Mods., PNY-nVidia GE Force 8800 GTS (640MB), 4-Western Digital Caviar SATA(2) HDD's (internal), 1 EIDE-USB External; Hauppauge PVR 1600 TV tuner, Dual Monitor: (1) Standard up top, (1) WideScreen below; Altec Lansign Speakers...
    Friday, May 29, 2009 5:39 PM