Issue in Management store replication RRS feed

• Question

• I changed my Central Management Store (CMS) from my domain controller to my domain computer.

I referred the following article:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg195644(v=ocs.14).aspx

When I ran Move-CsManagementServer, the command completed with the following error: start-CsWindowsService Replica failed to start.

Also, when I try to check the replication state of my Servers using Get-CsManagementStoreReplicationStatus, the status shows false for both my servers. Can anyone help me in resolving this issue?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 10:37 PM

Answers

• Yes Lavin Since we want  to get rid of any more such old instances, let remove everything make it a clean machine and lets start from scracth.. but for sure SQL to be removed 

Linus

• Proposed as answer by Eason Huang Thursday, April 7, 2016 12:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by Eason Huang Friday, April 8, 2016 1:31 AM
    Sunday, April 3, 2016 9:04 AM

All replies

• I'm confused. CMS is not sitting in the Domain Controller but it's located in Lync Server Database it self (Standard Edition). Can you explain the complete scenario that you trying to do?. and what you mean by "I changed my Central Management Store (CMS) from my domain controller to my domain computer."

You can move CMS from one SfB pool to another SfB pool. You need to prepare the target SfB pool and then only run the move command. 

http://thamaraw.com

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 1:33 AM
  • I had tried to install SfB on my domain controller and later realized that it cannot be done so. I had already created the CMS and published a successful topology on the domain controller with the domain controller fqdn. Later I created a new domain computer and now I am trying to install SfB on it. I got an error stating that according to the published topology, the CMS is the domain controller fqdn and not the domain computer. So I executed the commands to migrate my CMS from domain controller to domain computer. While doing so, I got the error that Start-CsWindowsService Replica failed to start or cannot be started. So when I manually tried using the invoke-CsManagementStoreReplication and then used Start-CsWindowsService Replica, It gives me an error that the service cannot be started, please ensure it is not disabled with some more errors. Also, When I try to use Get-CsManagementStoreReplicationStatus, it returns false for both my domain controller and domain computer.
    Wednesday, March 30, 2016 5:49 AM
  • You need to rebuild the topology first and publish it again with the new computer. You can delete the domain controller in the topoplogy. After that you can use the wizard.

Greetings,

Erdem

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 5:56 AM
  • I have tried that too, but the topology publication fails.

These are the errors recorded in publishing the topology:

ClusterIdChange: A pool fully qualified domain name (FQDN) cannot be moved from one Skype for Business Server pool to another pool in a single operation.

ClusterIdChange: Pool fully qualified domain name (FQDN) "WIN-PABHLJ3LTBC.lavinnk.local" was moved from cluster ID "1:3" to "1:1".

ClusterIdChangeResolution: Complete the rename or removal of the first Skype for Business Server pool before assigning the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) to a new pool.

Error: An error occurred: "System.InvalidOperationException" "Cluster ID is not consistent with current deployment."

So the publishing topology fails too. I have already removed the CMS from my Domain controller using 

Uninstall-CsDatabase -CentralManagementDatabase -SqlServerFqdn <FQDN of SQL Server> -SqlInstanceName <Name of source server>

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 6:01 AM
  • I have tried that too, but the topology publication fails.

These are the errors recorded in publishing the topology:

ClusterIdChange: A pool fully qualified domain name (FQDN) cannot be moved from one Skype for Business Server pool to another pool in a single operation.

ClusterIdChange: Pool fully qualified domain name (FQDN) "WIN-PABHLJ3LTBC.lavinnk.local" was moved from cluster ID "1:3" to "1:1".

ClusterIdChangeResolution: Complete the rename or removal of the first Skype for Business Server pool before assigning the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) to a new pool.

Error: An error occurred: "System.InvalidOperationException" "Cluster ID is not consistent with current deployment."

So the publishing topology fails too. I have already removed the CMS from my Domain controller using 

Uninstall-CsDatabase -CentralManagementDatabase -SqlServerFqdn <FQDN of SQL Server> -SqlInstanceName <Name of source server>

Best is to fully delete it in the topology builder and start from scratch :)
    Wednesday, March 30, 2016 6:52 AM
  • Could you help me with that? Just delete the published topology or entire deployment?
    Wednesday, March 30, 2016 7:04 AM
  • You can delete the published topology then it will not be active anymore :)

Greetings,

Erdem

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 9:10 AM
  • I have tried to remove the deployment. After that when i try to run the command publish-cstopology -finalizeUninstall, i get the following error :

1:2 contains skype for business server services and must be removed before final uninstall.

I am not able to remove the topology from the AD.

Regards,

Lavin.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 11:35 AM
  • check add or remove programs and see if you still have the SFB components there , uninstall them one by one and then try it 

Linus

Thursday, March 31, 2016 4:59 AM
  • I demoted my domain controller, changed my root domain, removed sql server from both my servers and did a fresh installation along with a new topology of the new root domain. Now, I have successfully published my topology, but am facing a problem in installing local configuration store. The error i receive is as follows:

> Bootstrap-CsComputer

Logging status to: C:\Users\lavin\AppData\Local\Temp\BootstrapLocalMgmt-[2016_03_31][07_37_40].html
    Checking prerequisites for bootstrapper...
    Checking prerequisite WMIEnabled...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite NoBootstrapperOnBranchOfficeAppliance...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite SupportedOS...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite NoOtherVersionInstalled...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisites for roles...
    Checking prerequisite SupportedOS...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite SupportedOSNoDC...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite DotNet35...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite SupportedSqlRtcLocal...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite WMIEnabled...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite NoOtherVersionInstalled...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite PowerShell...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite SqlUpgradeInstanceRtcLocal...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite SqlInstanceRtcLocal...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite VCredist...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite SqlNativeClient...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite SqlClrTypes...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite SqlSharedManagementObjects...prerequisite satisfied.
    Checking prerequisite UcmaRedist...prerequisite satisfied.
    No databases discovered, skipping Install-CsDatabase...
    No roles discovered, skipping Enable-CsComputer...

> Install Local Configuration Store

Import-CSConfiguration -FileName "C:\Users\lavin\AppData\Local\Temp\CSConfigData-2016_03_31-07_37_42.zip" -Verbose -LocalStore
    Cannot open database "xds" requested by the login. The login failed.
    Login failed for user 'LAVINKHANDELWAL\lavin'.

I also get an error: Not Available: The local management store not available(Greyed out in step 2 and 3 for install or remove skype for business)

Thursday, March 31, 2016 7:34 AM
  • Hi,

Did you deploy the SFB Standard\Enterprise Edition?

Please make sure the login account of the sql is a member of "sysadmin" group.

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 31, 2016 8:04 AM
  • I have deployed standard edition server. Also, I have given the sysadmin permission from management studio.

Thanks,

Lavin

Thursday, March 31, 2016 8:09 AM
  • out of curiosity, did you run the "Prepare First Standard Edition Server" before publishing the topology?. 

No databases discovered, skipping Install-CsDatabase...

http://thamaraw.com

Friday, April 1, 2016 12:15 AM
  • This happened to  me once during a standard edition deployment where it was not able to get the database installed on its own, i had to manually install SQL server and then the installation went through . 

Linus

Friday, April 1, 2016 4:11 AM
  • Yes Thamara, I ran prepare first standard edition server before publishing the topology. I read this from the microsoft website itself. Following is the paragraph I referred:

Before you can install the Skype for Business Server system on each of the servers in the topology, you must create a topology and publish it. When you publish a topology, you are loading the topology information into the Central Management Store database. If this is an Enterprise Edition pool, you are creating the Central Management Store database the first time you publish a new topology. If this is Standard Edition, you will need to run the Prepare First Standard Edition Server process from the Deployment Wizard before you publish a topology. This prepares for Standard Edition by installing a SQL Server Express Edition instance and creating the Central Management Store. You can do steps 1 through 5 in any order. However, you must do steps 6, 7, and 8 in order, and after steps 1 through 5, as outlined in the diagram. How to create and publish a new topology is described in step 6 of 8.

Friday, April 1, 2016 9:00 AM
  • Hi SunilKumarS, I have installed SQL Server 2014 evaluation version even before I started Installing SfB Administrative tools. So I don't think that should be the issue.
    Friday, April 1, 2016 9:02 AM
  • can you install Sql management studio  in  that machine and then login to check whether you can see the databases container there ? since it says No database discovered , will check that manually 

Linus

Saturday, April 2, 2016 11:17 AM
  • Yes, I have studio manager installed already and it shows the XDS container present there. 
    Saturday, April 2, 2016 8:06 PM
  • As far as physical location is concerned, I have xds folder at 2 places in my Hard drive.

1) C:\CsData\CentralManagementStore.....\xds.mdf

2) C:\Program Files\SqlServer\Data\xds.mdf

Saturday, April 2, 2016 8:09 PM
  • Hello Lavin, 

2 things that is stopping us here , as Thamara was pointing install-csdatabase step got skipped which either means the XDS is there already if its there , then we are seeing its unable to open the database to complete the local configuration installation. I would suggest we need to get rid of this XDS database also completely as for some reason its giving us trouble . Shall we try a fresh installation on the same machine after removing all Database and SQL component etc from the server and start from scratch again. 

Linus

Sunday, April 3, 2016 2:27 AM
  • Hi Sunil,

You mean removing only the sql server and all it related databases right? or removing the entire deployment and starting from cratch??

Regards,

Lavin.

Sunday, April 3, 2016 6:51 AM
  • Yes Lavin Since we want  to get rid of any more such old instances, let remove everything make it a clean machine and lets start from scracth.. but for sure SQL to be removed 

Linus

• Proposed as answer by Eason Huang Thursday, April 7, 2016 12:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by Eason Huang Friday, April 8, 2016 1:31 AM
    Sunday, April 3, 2016 9:04 AM
  • ok. I have started reinstalling Everything from the scratch, including Windows server 2012.
    Sunday, April 3, 2016 10:52 AM
  • Thanks a lot Sunil. I have resolved all my issues after reinstalling everything form the scratch. I now have all my servers up and running!
    Sunday, April 10, 2016 9:11 AM
  • Good to hear Lavin , Since we had hiccups with some old entries which made us to go for clean install. 

Linus

Sunday, April 10, 2016 10:55 AM
  • Exactly. So basically if you uninstall SQL server, the older databases still retain in the system and that is what causes errors. So clean installation is the way to go. 
    Monday, April 18, 2016 5:40 AM