Windows 7 remote desktop connection error message does not come to the front RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Windows 7 Enterprise x64

When a remote desktop connection is lost due to another user taking control, an error message appears:

Title: Remote Desktop Connection
    Message: Your Remote Desktop session has ended.    Another user connected to the remote computer, so your...
    Buttons: OK, Help

When the event happens, windows plays a sound and displays the message.  However, if the rdp connection window is behind other windows (is not the active window) the message is not brought to the front.  Thus if my sound is not on, I am not notified of the lost connection until I try to use the machine.  Is there a setting somewhere that I can change to have the notice appear on top of other windows?

Thanks for your help,

Mordecai
    Monday, February 22, 2010 5:24 PM

Answers

• Hello,

To work around this problem, try the following method:

1. Download and install the Actual Window Manager 6.0. You are able to keep any windows always-on-top of others with this program.

http://www.actualtools.com/download/

2. Open Remote desktop and then you will see extal title buttons in window like "always-on-top".
    3. Set your remote desktop window to always-on-top. Resize it to smaller when you do not use it.

Is it a acceptable  workaround?

Thomas77
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Tuesday, March 2, 2010 7:32 AM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:39 AM

All replies

• Be careful what you ask for.

If all applications popped their messages to the top of the screen when they needed attention, it would get rather difficult to use the computer, as you'd always have dialogs jumping in front of what you're working on.

The behavior we want is for the application icon/button flash in the Taskbar to get your attention, but NOT to pop to the top.  From what I can see it does not flash.

-Noel
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 3:09 AM
  • Hello,

To work around this problem, try the following method:

1. Download and install the Actual Window Manager 6.0. You are able to keep any windows always-on-top of others with this program.

http://www.actualtools.com/download/

2. Open Remote desktop and then you will see extal title buttons in window like "always-on-top".
    3. Set your remote desktop window to always-on-top. Resize it to smaller when you do not use it.

Is it a acceptable  workaround?

Thomas77
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Tuesday, March 2, 2010 7:32 AM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:39 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.

Thomas, that's a nice little app.  It does what I need, but I would prefer not to have to pay for a solution.  In the end, it will likely be my only option.

Noel, The flashing taskbar button is not working for me either.  I also tested it using the Aero theme, since I normally use the classic view.

I know this is not a critical issue, but I don't see how hiding errors could ever be a good thing.  Most apps do error to the front already so hiding this one message doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  For example, if you copy a bunch of files to a folder and one of them already exists in that folder, the do you want to replace, keep both or skip window does come to the front.  Also, this rdp lost connection error does appear in windows xp and vista (just tested this morning).

-Mordecai

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:28 PM
  • Sorry, just wanted to clarify my last sentence.

Lost rdp connections on vista and xp do become the active window.  This is the behavior I am looking for in windows 7.

-Mordecai
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:38 PM
  • It seems, through all these versions of Windows, that what we need is more configurability.  You might care deeply whether that connection is lost, and I might not want to know about it just now, instead keeping my mind on my current work.  That's good, it means we know what we want.  We should be able to express that to Windows (Overall?  Per application?  Per instance?  All of the above?) and have Windows notify us in the way that suits our needs.

Yet we see notifications such as this one that used to work one way now work another way - notably a way not agreed-to by either of us as "proper"... 

It's almost as though the people making UI changes no longer have any UI philosophy or guidelines to follow...  That's scary indeed for Windows' future.

-Noel
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:14 PM