ADFS 2016 Schema Level Mandatory? RRS feed

• Question

• I have ADFS 2012 (3.0) on a Production Active Directory.

I need to add a new ADFS Farm (Different farm service name) to the same AD.

The new ADFS is 2016 so im wondering can i still add it to the AD when the schema level is below 85.

Will adding the 2016 ADFS to the 2012 AD make it run as a 2012 adfs server (Which is fine) or would it just not work?

Thanks for any help

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 10:26 AM

Answers

• Yes but you won't be able to use the 2016 Farm Behavior Level (FBL) until your raise your ADDS schema to 2016.

Note that because it will be a brand new ADFS 2016 Farm, it will appear that the FBL is already 2016, but this would be really effective only once the schema is ADDS 2016.

Domain controllers can still run OS lower than Windows Server 2016, just the schema will need to change for the FBL.

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 10:36 PM

All replies

• Yes but you won't be able to use the 2016 Farm Behavior Level (FBL) until your raise your ADDS schema to 2016.

Note that because it will be a brand new ADFS 2016 Farm, it will appear that the FBL is already 2016, but this would be really effective only once the schema is ADDS 2016.

Domain controllers can still run OS lower than Windows Server 2016, just the schema will need to change for the FBL.

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 10:36 PM
  • So Im clear:

I can add a completely seperate 2016 ADFS farm to the same AD that 2012 ADFS is using.

The new ADFS 2016 farm will be completely seperate and different service name, and will think its running the higher FBL but really it will be on the 2012 FBL.

Will this cause any issues?

Monday, January 8, 2018 3:43 PM
  • You should not have any issues but I would recommend that you update the forest schema to Windows Server 2016. Like Pierre mentions your ADFS farm would be more effective and this allows you make full use of the new features.

Kind Regards Don

Monday, January 8, 2018 5:36 PM