W2K8 R2 unattended answer file / installation issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    For the last two weeks I have been trying to get a scripted installation of W2K8 to work on our HP BL460c units.
    I am using Altiris as bundled with HP RDP 3.83 to manage the scripted installation.

It consistently returns the error "Windows could not apply unattend settings during pass [offlineServicing]."

I have used WAIK 6.0.6001.18000, and later used v6.1.7100.0. Both have returned the same error when using Microsoft's standard isntallation examples or slightly modified Altiris 2008 installation scripts.  Neither WAIK program reports any error with the .xml files except that the computer name is invalid, as it is formatted to be replaced by a token value during the scripted installation proccess.

I have tried using the most basic of scripts confirmed to work for Server 2008 unattended installations all to no avail.
    These units though hooked up to SAN storage arrays, do not have any mapped space, and should only be using their local drives.

Thank you for any feedback or help on the matter.

-Aaron
    Monday, June 15, 2009 5:48 PM

Answers

• Had exactly the same error message.
    For me the problem was caused by the "servicing" section and the "Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package"
    The version for 2008R2="6.1.7600.16385"

Best regards,
    Gerhard
    • Marked as answer by Cheshire43 Wednesday, March 3, 2010 11:35 PM
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 9:57 AM

All replies

• hi aaron,

are you still facing the issue ? if so please let us know so that we will resume troubleshooting on the issue , if you have found any workaround or solution for your problem , please do post the same so that other users will get benefited.

thanks for your time.
    sainath !analyze
    Monday, July 27, 2009 11:38 AM
  • I am having the same issue. I have tried many time to manipulate the answer file, (xml) but each time it fails during that pass...please help!!
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 4:14 PM
  • I have also got same error message. I have tryied to install 2008 server enterprise R2 to FuSi Primergy RX300S4 with serverstart DVD. It would be very appreciative to get help to this issue.
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 4:30 PM
  • I have still not been able to resolve the issue.
    I have also confirmed that this error is similarly cropping up in our Hyper-V boxes on which an installation is attempted.

Mostly I've given up on the matter and begrudgingly do manual installs of W2K8 R2 boxes.

-Aaron
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:13 PM

• You basically have to take the default HP (out of the box) unattend files for W2K8 and intergrate the rest of your settings in them, that portion of your unattend file should look similiar to this for a x64 build. Is the BL460c a boot from SAN or local boot server?

<settings pass="offlineServicing">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-PnpCustomizationsNonWinPE" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <DriverPaths>
                    <PathAndCredentials wcm:keyValue="5f21940b" wcm:action="add">
                        <Path>f:\lib\osoem\proliant.zzz\w61.64\drivers</Path>
                    </PathAndCredentials>
                </DriverPaths>
            </component>
        </settings>
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 2:47 PM
  • Hey Vinny,

The BL460c boots over PXE for the installation to begin, but all files there after are stored locally once loaded.

I have no problems with Server 2008 x64 installations, it is only when dealing with an R2 image that things do not work out.
    I have tried slight modification to otherwise default HP scripts, and I have followed microsoft guides on how to create the most basic of basic scripted installs for W2K8 r2 to no avail.

-Aaron
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 7:48 PM
  • I have the exact same issue.  R2 doesn't like the offline servicing section that works perfectly well with 2008 x64 (non-R2).  Just like Cheshire, I have tried the default HP scripts, followed everything i could see online, and done the Microsoft walkthroughs, and nothing works.  My unattend file looks almost exactly like Vinny's. The key value is different, but everything else is the same.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 4:54 PM
  • I get the same Offline Servicing error with R2, it appears that the HP W2K8 drivers used during this part of the installation are not compatible with W2k8 R2.

I checked with our HP rep and it looks like a new version of HP RDP (version 6) is coming out soon and will support R2...stay tuned.

HP does have PSP 8.21 beta posted on their site for use with R2 but official support is coming with PSP 8.30. If you can pull the drivers from PSP 8.21 into the (f:\lib\osoem\proliant.zzz) referenced HP RDP driver folder for your R2 job...it might work.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 7:33 PM
  • I get the same Offline Servicing error with R2, it appears that the HP W2K8 drivers used during this part of the installation are not compatible with W2k8 R2.

I checked with our HP rep and it looks like a new version of HP RDP (version 6) is coming out soon and will support R2...stay tuned.

HP does have PSP 8.21 beta posted on their site for use with R2 but official support is coming with PSP 8.30. If you can pull the drivers from PSP 8.21 into the (f:\lib\osoem\proliant.zzz) referenced HP RDP driver folder for your R2 job...it might work.

Hi All,

Just for the record. I have the same issue that U all got. And it seems not only to be on HO servers. I am runnig DELL and i got the same error.

Walked trough how-to guidelines from A-Z, and it works perfectly on W2K8, but not on W2K8-R2.

Looking forward to hear, if anyone of you guys find a solution.

Br, Soren
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 1:20 PM
  • Had exactly the same error message.
    For me the problem was caused by the "servicing" section and the "Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package"
    The version for 2008R2="6.1.7600.16385"

Best regards,
    Gerhard
    • Marked as answer by Cheshire43 Wednesday, March 3, 2010 11:35 PM
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 9:57 AM
  • Thank you so bloody much!

This was a real thorn in my side for so long.
    I hate having to shift projects to a backburner due to issues like this, especially small things as was the case!

I still dont understand why making a fresh unattend.xml from WAIK was producing the same error / why it wasn't filling in the proper version #... but I dont want to think about this anymore.

Again, many thanks!

Wednesday, March 3, 2010 11:35 PM
  • Awesome guys thank you!
    Monday, April 5, 2010 6:10 PM