Office Click to Run, interaction with app-v tools/applications RRS feed

• Question

• I have noticed a strange issue when we change the office version from Office Proplus 2013 to Office 2013 Click to run. Applications cannot export data office apps anymore. For example, when a HR employee export the current employees to Excel.

We only have this in a scenario where the application/tool is an app-v application and the office CTR is locally installed.  

The APP-V packages are pushed by a app-v full infrastructure server. I found a workaround to create an app-v package with the office deployment tool and configure both packages into one APP-V connection group. I see this as a workaround because it means that we need to virtualize any office integrated application and add-in.

-        The green lines indicate that the application works as expected.

-        The orange line is our temporally workaround.

-        The red line is our goal.

We had to change the office version because of the changed license subscription agreement. (sep. 2015)

App-V version: 5.0 SP3, OS: Windows 8.1

I see this behavior by several applications into multiple customer environments. Has anyone a similar experience or a solution?

Friday, October 23, 2015 1:02 PM

Answers

• How is you appv package created? Did you install that local version of office on the sequencer box before starting the sequence? What are your COM settings for your appv package.

Friday, October 23, 2015 3:28 PM
  • Have you enabled COM Interaction?

(Please click on "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", if it has helped you.)

app2pack.blogspot.com: app2pack.blogspot.com

Friday, October 23, 2015 4:41 PM

All replies

• If I understand you properly, You want your physical application to Interact with the AppV application out there. Please correct me If I'm wrong.

I would suggest you to take a look at the Run Virtual. You can find more information from below,

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn858703.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#BKMK_runvirtual_regkey

http://blogs.technet.com/b/gladiatormsft/archive/2013/04/24/app-v-5-0-launching-native-local-processes-within-the-virtual-environment.aspx

You just have to create a Registry Key named [Physical Application Executable Name such as Iexplore.exe] under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\AppV\Client\RunVirtual. The default key value will be PackageGUID_VersionGUID.

Posted AS IS with No Warranties. Mark as Answer if this answers your question, It will help other community members.

Friday, October 23, 2015 2:08 PM
  • Thanks for your quick response, yes and no. My goal is to open a locally installed Office Click to run app from an app-v package.

For example I had installed the office application with the office deploymenttool:(setup.exe /configure defaultconfig.xml) and pushed the app-v application myapp from the APP-V infrastructure sever (based on a active directory group).

The user want to export a file to Excel or Word but the office app won't start or cannot find the file.  The previous image contains the office ProPlus version, when the office apps start normally.

The application is compatible with Click to Run because if I install the same application locally, I am able to start any office click to run app.

I already tried the RunVirtual options without any luck so far.

Friday, October 23, 2015 3:07 PM
  • How is you appv package created? Did you install that local version of office on the sequencer box before starting the sequence? What are your COM settings for your appv package.

Friday, October 23, 2015 3:28 PM
  • Have you enabled COM Interaction?

(Please click on "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", if it has helped you.)

app2pack.blogspot.com: app2pack.blogspot.com

Friday, October 23, 2015 4:41 PM