none
Content Created in Expression Web - Styles RRS feed

• General discussion

• My topic was originally a page in my web site, composed in Expression Web. I have revised the page to conform to standards and best practices I find for Microsoft Wiki ariticles. However, I used styles to specify font, color, etc. Now I read that when I paste my page into the Wiki Editor, only the HTML between the <body> tags will be retained. If so, I will lose my styles. Is this so? Am I stuck redoing my content in the Wiki Editor, and using only in-line styles?

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services
    • Changed type tonysoper_MSFT Wednesday, November 2, 2011 9:40 PM bug report
    • Changed type tonysoper_MSFT Thursday, November 3, 2011 5:52 PM bug report
    • Changed type tonysoper_MSFT Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:18 PM bug report
    • Changed type tonysoper_MSFT Friday, November 18, 2011 9:26 PM bug report
    Monday, October 31, 2011 8:38 PM

All replies

• I tried posting my Wiki page and it was clear that none of my styles were used. There are references to them in the HTML, but only HTML in the <body> tag was retained. I see now that some of the things I specifed were unecessary. They are apparently specified in styles I cannot view (I tried, but get access denied errors, which make sense). For me the major problem is in the code snippets, where my styles are ignored.

I'm trying to use the suggestions in this Wiki article titled "User Experience Guidelines":

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1775.aspx

I also referred to this Wiki article on using Expression Web to compose content:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/authoring-blog-and-wiki-content-with-expression-web.aspx

I conclude that I must only use inline styles (if that is the correct term). I also must learn what I must specify by trial and error, since I cannot view the existing styles, which might be in "/wiki/themes/generic/css/layout.css".

And no, I don't plan on using the "Format Code Block" feature in the Wiki Editor. If this works like the "Insert Code Block" feature in the forums, it does not meet my requirements.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 5:03 PM
  • Hi Richard,

In my experience, the Wiki works best when text is simple with little markup.  If styling is required, it does need to be included inline (and can be tweaked using the HTML view in the editor). While this is not ideal for authors (it is a pain in the rear!), it does give those who want additional styling an opportunity to do so.

You might be able to use Microsoft Word as a "converter" from your blog format to simplified HTML, but there can still be problems trying to paste into the Wiki editor.

Above all, thanks for taking the time to contribute. And please share other feedback even if we don't necessarily have a perfect solution.

eric

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 8:06 PM
  • I have nothing fancy in my content, but I wanted to make sure the code used Courier New, maintained indenting and spacing, etc. I found it was easy to insert all of my styles inline, although now the HTML looks more complicated. I posted my article and it looks OK to me. I may edit the Wiki on using Expression Web to point out the issue I had.

However, I now see that my profile has given me credit for 41 new Wiki articles, plus a bunch of edits, all in the last few hours since I posted by article. I fear I did something that fools the system.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 10:52 PM
  • It's getting worse. My profile now shows 176 new Wiki articles. The article itself looks fine:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/5312.aspx

The article shows 3 revisions, which is real, but my profile shows 177 edits so far.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 9:50 AM
  • Thanks Richard.  Something looks amiss -- we are investigating.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 3:16 PM
  • Richard, the problem has been identified and we will ultimately be able to remove the erroneous activities sent to your and a few other profiles. The timeframe for this is the next few months.

Thanks again for pointing out this issue!

Monday, November 21, 2011 7:20 PM
  • Thanks for the update.

Monday, November 21, 2011 8:33 PM