AppV5 Excel/Office ProPlus 2013 Click to Run Sequencing (and include some native Addins) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We need two native Excel 2013 Addins: PowerPivot and PowerView. Since Office 2010 is installed locally on all client machines I would like to virtualize Excel 2013 (Click to Run) with these two addins. Licensing is no issue because an Office 365 subscription will be purchased.

So, I have successfully sequenced Excel 2013 with AppV 5.0 SP1 via the Office Deployment Tool. It all seems too easy:

1. First download sources (setup.exe /download configuration.xml)
    2. Second configure sources (setup.exe <xml file>)
    3. Last create the AppV package (setup.exe /packager <xml> <path to save .appv package>)

My Configuration.xml file looks like this:

<Configuration>

<Add SourcePath="\\serverr\share" OfficeClientEdition="32" >       
      <Product ID="ExcelRetail">
          <Language ID="en-us" />
      </Product>
     </Add>

<Display Level="None" AcceptEULA="TRUE" /> 

<Logging Name="Office2013Setup.txt" Path="%temp%" />

<Property Name="AUTOACTIVATE" Value="1" /> 

</Configuration>

But I end up with an Excel 2013 AppV package that:

• Doesn’t include the addins (no wonder because I didn’t sequenced it myself).
    • All the 'first run wizards' popup at launch (Default File Type question & Welcome to your new Office). Normally I disable these with OCT for physical installations, or configure them while sequencing.

Is there a way to disable the first run wizards in the “setup.exe /configure” step? And can I add Excel Addins during package creation? Or need I script this within the DeploymentConfig.xml/UserConfig.xml with a .reg import for example?

Thanks,

Ben

Friday, November 22, 2013 9:41 AM

Answers

• Hi Ben,

I'm glad you're excited about AppV 5.0 SP2!  I think this TechNet doc will be of use to you in getting your Office 2013 plugins up and running:

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/dn481351.aspx

Take special note of steps 7-9 in the section "How to enable Office 2013 plugins for Office App-V package" around editing the Deployment Configuration of the plugin package you create. They detail the changes needed to the package's deployment config which I think Steve was trying to get at earlier.

Thanks,
    Kevin Burek 

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 8:00 PM

All replies

• Hello,

We need two native Excel 2013 Addins: PowerPivot and PowerView. Since Office 2010 is installed locally on all client machines I would like to virtualize Excel 2013 (Click to Run) with these two addins. Licensing is no issue because an Office 365 subscription will be purchased.

So, I have successfully sequenced Excel 2013 with AppV 5.0 SP1 via the Office Deployment Tool. It all seems too easy:

1. First download sources (setup.exe /download configuration.xml)
    2. Second configure sources (setup.exe <xml file>)
    3. Last create the AppV package (setup.exe /packager <xml> <path to save .appv package>)

My Configuration.xml file looks like this:

<Configuration>

<Add SourcePath="\\serverr\share" OfficeClientEdition="32" >       
      <Product ID="ExcelRetail">
          <Language ID="en-us" />
      </Product>
     </Add>

<Display Level="None" AcceptEULA="TRUE" /> 

<Logging Name="Office2013Setup.txt" Path="%temp%" />

<Property Name="AUTOACTIVATE" Value="1" /> 

</Configuration>

But I end up with an Excel 2013 AppV package that:

• Doesn’t include the addins (no wonder because I didn’t sequenced it myself).
    • All the 'first run wizards' popup at launch (Default File Type question & Welcome to your new Office). Normally I disable these with OCT for physical installations, or configure them while sequencing.

Is there a way to disable the first run wizards in the “setup.exe /configure” step? And can I add Excel Addins during package creation? Or need I script this within the DeploymentConfig.xml/UserConfig.xml with a .reg import for example?

Thanks,

Ben

You said you used the Office Toolkit? In this you can set Disable Opt-in Wizard on first run. Was this used when installing on the sequencing machine?

Alternatively you could attempt to launch excel during the sequencing phase and go through those menu's to ensure they don't launch on first launch of the virtual Excel. I believe that shouldn't be a problem since.

For the Add-in's, it seems like you know they weren't included or connected in any way, that's likely the issue with those.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Friday, November 22, 2013 1:46 PM
  • Thanks for your answer Rory.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm using ODT (Office Deployment Tool for Click-to-Run) not OCT (Office Customization Toolkit). The option "Disable Opt-in Wizard on first run" isn't available in ODT right? It only allows an XML file to use against the setup.exe command
    (with the /configure and /packager switches.

I’m familiar with the "Disable Opt-in Wizard on first run" setting for physical deployments (and for sequencing Office 2010 and before). But as I'm forced to use the Click-to-Run method, I cannot use it with this new method of “easy sequencing”. Or am I missing something?

Launching Excel and to some customizations is pointless, as there is no monitoring phase or sequencing phase anymore, right?

Friday, November 22, 2013 2:05 PM
  • Hello,

1. Create your package

2. Setup your sequener

3. Expand the package (not sure if this works with a generated package, if it doesn't - install the 2013 equivelant natively or deploy the non-virtualized copy of 0365)

4. Start a new package

5. Install and setup your add-in

6. Save and deploy

7. Join together using Connection Groups

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Friday, November 22, 2013 3:19 PM
  • Thanks Nicke! Your approach looks promising, however;

Extracting my package with the sequencer works fine, but launching the expanded Excel afterwards throws some license errors (with both sequencer active and closed).

“Microsoft Office can’t find your license for this application. A repair attempt was unsuccessful or was cancelled. Microsoft Office will now exit.”

“Your trial was expired”. Enter Key/Sign In

After signing in with our Office 365 account: “There is a problem with your account. Please try again later.”

However, Excel launches without activating. But when I try to add my add-ins, they are not showing up. (They do show up if I test my initial package on a client).

These add-ins (powerview & power pivot) are only available in Office 2013 ProPlus .. maybe the lack of activation is the cause?

What a hassle. Hopefully MS will change licensing for sequencing the Office 2013 MSI.

Have a nice weekend!

Friday, November 22, 2013 6:22 PM
  • Going back to your original issue of not being able to load add-ins. How are your COM settings in the Deployment Config file?

Steve Thomas, Senior Consultant, Microsoft

App-V/MED-V/SCVMM/Server App-V/MDOP/AppCompat

http://blogs.technet.com/gladiatormsft/
    The App-V Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/appv/
    The MED-V Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/medv
    The SCVMM Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/scvmm/

“This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. User assumes all risks.”

Saturday, November 23, 2013 6:53 AM
  • Thanks for taking the time Steve.

The COM Mode in my DeploymentConfig.XML is set to Integrated (I didn't touched the XML files yet, they are both default, created by ODT --> DeploymentConfig = whopping 38039 lines!). 

<COM Mode="Integrated">

Here is the PowerPivot related part from DeploymentConfig.XML:

<Extension Category="AppV.FileTypeAssociation">
      <FileTypeAssociation>
        <ProgId>
          <Name>PowerPivotExcelClientAddIn.NativeEntry</Name>
          <Description>NativeEntry Class</Description>
          <CurrentVersionProgId>PowerPivotExcelClientAddIn.NativeEntry.1</CurrentVersionProgId>
        </ProgId>
      </FileTypeAssociation>
    </Extension>

Saturday, November 23, 2013 7:24 AM
  • Whow, MS added support for virtualization of Office 2013 under volume licensing in SP2! I'm going to try this first thing in the morning!

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/springboard/archive/2013/12/02/announcing-mdop-2013-r2.aspx

Monday, December 2, 2013 6:32 PM
  • Hi Ben,

I'm glad you're excited about AppV 5.0 SP2!  I think this TechNet doc will be of use to you in getting your Office 2013 plugins up and running:

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/dn481351.aspx

Take special note of steps 7-9 in the section "How to enable Office 2013 plugins for Office App-V package" around editing the Deployment Configuration of the plugin package you create. They detail the changes needed to the package's deployment config which I think Steve was trying to get at earlier.

Thanks,
    Kevin Burek 

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 8:00 PM
  • Hi,

I have created an Office 2013 appv package using the click-to-run tool. The only issue I am facing is to suppress the "First thing first prompt" and the video that launches automatically after first launch.

I am including the responsible registry keys in the registry section of user config file and using the same while publishing the package  as below:

<Include>
            <Key Path="\REGISTRY\USER\[{AppVCurrentUserSID}]\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\FirstRun">
              <Value Type="REG_DWORD" Name="BootedRTM" Data="1" />
            </Key>
            <Key Path="\REGISTRY\USER\[{AppVCurrentUserSID}]\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\General">
              <Value Type="REG_DWORD" Name="ShownFirstRunOptin" Data="1" />
            </Key>
          </Include>

However, they do not reflect any changes or supress the prompt...

Please suggest..!!

Thanks,

Shashank
    Friday, February 21, 2014 1:40 PM
  • Has there been a solution here? Please let me know if you have!

John

Friday, December 11, 2015 9:50 AM
  • Yes, I got it working and it's in use for more then a year now.

Basically Nicke's steps are correct. Not using the Expand package feature, but installed the 2013 equivalent natively. To summarize:

• Packaged Excel via Office 365 ProPlus using ODT.
    • Installed Excel 2013 natively on my sequencer machine, and sequence the Addins.
    • Adapt COM settings in the Deployment Config file (like Steve said).
    • Join the Excel package (packaged with ODT) and the Addins package (sequenced) in a Connection Group.
    • Publish Globally.
    Friday, December 11, 2015 12:53 PM