Vista wants to reactivate after I install video card, says product key is already in use RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all, I have a problem with Windows wanting me to reactivate.

The problem started after I installed a video card into my system to replace the onboard graphics. After I finished with BIOS and upgrading the drivers, Windows told me to reactivate with 3 days or Windows would stop working. When I went to activate, Windows told me that the product key was already in use, which it is definetly not. The only computer using the product key is the one I installed the video card on.

Need help fast because today is the last day of the activation 'grace' period. Tried contacting Microsoft but the stupid page told me the product ID number was wrong, even though I tried typing it three ways: 12345-XXX-7654321-98765, 12345 XXX 7654321 98765, and 12345XXX765432198765. For some reason M$ wants to charge me freaking $59 to get this problem solved because the PIN is 'invalid' or pay whatever inordinate sum for a new key. Please, all help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 9:29 PM

Answers

• You can reset your Windows Vista activation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation.

5.  Once completed, restart your computer.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 4:18 AM
  • Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the post.

Please understand that after a big hardware change has been made, the system will prompt you to activate again. The purpose is to protect your product key.

Now you can contact Microsoft Activation Center 888-571-2048 and they will help you activate the system immediately.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, January 4, 2008 2:50 AM

All replies

• You can reset your Windows Vista activation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation.

5.  Once completed, restart your computer.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 4:18 AM
  • Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the post.

Please understand that after a big hardware change has been made, the system will prompt you to activate again. The purpose is to protect your product key.

Now you can contact Microsoft Activation Center 888-571-2048 and they will help you activate the system immediately.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, January 4, 2008 2:50 AM