Windows 7 64Bit SP1 Folder Redirection Offline Logon extremely slow. RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to trace down a problem that I think is related to a misconfigured GPO for either Folder Redirection or Possibly Offline files.  On the network logon times are quick without any problems.  When I take the laptop home, from an off state it takes almost 15 minutes for the machine to fully boot up and log in with the majority of the time being the actual log on.  We apply folder redirection to the User folders of Documents, Desktop, Favorites, and AppData\Roaming.

Here is my RSoP Data

Under Computer Config->Admin Temp->Network->Offline Files

Configure Background Sync Enabled (Default Settings)
    Limit disk space used by offline files Enabled (Total Size 50000, Size of Auto-Cache 50000)
    Default cache size Enabled (5000)
    Allow or Disallow use of the Offline Files feature Enabled
    Action on server disconnect Enabled (Action Work Offline)
    Remove 'Make Available Offline' Enabled 
    Enable Transparent Caching Enabled (Default Settings)
    Turn on economical application of administratively assigned Offline Files Enabled 
    Synchronize all offline files before logging off Enabled 
    Synchronize all offline files when logging on Enabled 
    Synchronize offline files before suspend Enabled (Action Full)

Under Computer Config->Admin Temp->System->Logon

Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon Disabled

Under User Config->Windows Settings->Folder Redirection

AppData(Roaming)
    Setting: Advanced (Specify locations for various user groups)
    Group Path
    All paths are listed with proper UNC.
    Options
    Grant user exclusive rights to AppData(Roaming) Disabled
    Move the contents of AppData(Roaming) to the new location Disabled
    Also apply redirection policy to Windows 2000, Windows 2000 server, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 operating systems Disabled
    Policy Removal Behavior Leave contents

Desktop
    Group Path
    Options
    Grant user exclusive rights to Desktop Disabled
    Move the contents of Desktop to the new location Disabled
    Also apply redirection policy to Windows 2000, Windows 2000 server, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 operating systems Disabled

Documents
    Group Path
    Options
    Grant user exclusive rights to Documents Disabled
    Move the contents of Documents to the new location Disabled

Downloads
    Setting: Basic (Redirect everyone's folder to the same location)
    Path: Redirect to local user profile path
    Options
    Grant user exclusive rights to Downloads Enabled
    Move the contents of Downloads to the new location Enabled

Favorites
    Group Path
    Options
    Grant user exclusive rights to Favorites Disabled
    Move the contents of Favorites to the new location Disabled

Music
    Options
    Grant user exclusive rights to Music Enabled
    Move the contents of Music to the new location Enabled

Pictures
    Options
    Grant user exclusive rights to Pictures Enabled
    Move the contents of Pictures to the new location Enabled

Videos
    Options
    Grant user exclusive rights to Videos Enabled
    Move the contents of Videos to the new location Enabled

I am concered with a few things here, one folders we aren't redirecting are appearing in the policy, and two policies are set that don't apply to Windows 7.

Any direction or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

Sunday, March 27, 2011 3:52 AM

Answers

• Hey guys, thought I would give an update to this problem.  We think we have it fixed now.  We used WireShark to see what the machine was trying to connect to when booting up and logging in.  That really didn't turn up anything, but we noticed that my router at home, DGL-4500 had its own search page.  Basically I could ping anything, IE. (goihwoerhohaiohe;ld) and it would respond.  So when looking at my router's internet config, I went to Manual Config and unchecked the box, enable advanced DNS Service.  Doing so removed my router from trying to resolve DNS requests returning the DLINK search page.

Not done yet, I also have Comcast Cable and they too have their own DNS Helpers.  I logged into my Comcast account and under High Speed Internet Settings, they have a feature called Domain Helpers.  I have that now disabled.  

Since I have made this change, my log in times at home have been inbetween 11-30 seconds.  It has only been 4 days since this change so I am hoping the problem is resolved but wanted to share what I have found thus far.

Thanks,

Ryan 

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Thursday, May 19, 2011 2:41 AM
    Monday, May 16, 2011 9:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Ryan,

Where do you apply folder redirection to the user fodders? Is it a Server location? Does the issue only occur on this computer?

If you suspect the issue is related to folder redirection or Offline files, you can disable either of them temporarily and test the issue again. If you narrow down the root cause, please contact Server Forum to check the GPO configuration.

Win Server Forum

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsserver

Also checking the following group policy on Windows 7.

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Folder Redirection

On the right pane, make sure the option Do not automatically make redirected folders available offline is not configured.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 9:37 AM
  • Thanks for the response Niki,

This issue occurs on all of our machines.  If I log into the machine with an account that doesn't have folder redirection GPO's, it is very quick.  Once again this is only off network performance.  On the network everything is fine.

The folder are redirected to a network share correct.

We also do not configure that setting listed above.(Do not automatically make redirected folders available offline).

Thanks,

Ryan

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 11:01 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

When you takes the computer home, the network is different from the previous. If the folder are redirected to a network share, it may take a long time to find the previous network.

The issue could be resolved if you disable all folder redirection GPO's or use the local account to login.

In addition, have you confirmed with Windows Server Forum? They may have better solution on this situation.

Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 2:37 AM
  • Yes the network will be my home network.  But shouldn't it recognize it as "Offline and default to the local offline Cache"?

Also I have been looking through the event logs and found during longon off the network I am getting winlogon errors with Event ID's 6005 and 6006.  When I go to Application and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\Winlogon\operational.....there is nothing there for me to try to troubleshoot.  During this time there are not any erros in the Folder Redirection, Offline Files, and Group Policy event logs under Application and Services Logs either.  I think I need to track down these Winlogon errors.

Do you know how I get events to appear in the Winlogon Event Log?  It is enabled but logs nothing.

Thanks,

Ryan

Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:56 AM
  • Even I have a similar issue.

Set up a brand new Windows 7 laptop and immediately patched it with SP1 and everything else, whilst connected in the office. Set up a normal user with Outlook and redirected desktop and my documents folders to the SBS2008 server. All fine.
    Then moved the laptop to a remote location and tried to login. Got the message "No logon servers are available to service this request" (or similar).
    Why? This should work OK and does for many other PCs with XP, VISTA or Windows 7. Only seems to let domain admin account login, just not ordinary user

Friday, April 1, 2011 10:04 AM
  • Hey guys, thought I would give an update to this problem.  We think we have it fixed now.  We used WireShark to see what the machine was trying to connect to when booting up and logging in.  That really didn't turn up anything, but we noticed that my router at home, DGL-4500 had its own search page.  Basically I could ping anything, IE. (goihwoerhohaiohe;ld) and it would respond.  So when looking at my router's internet config, I went to Manual Config and unchecked the box, enable advanced DNS Service.  Doing so removed my router from trying to resolve DNS requests returning the DLINK search page.

Not done yet, I also have Comcast Cable and they too have their own DNS Helpers.  I logged into my Comcast account and under High Speed Internet Settings, they have a feature called Domain Helpers.  I have that now disabled.  

Since I have made this change, my log in times at home have been inbetween 11-30 seconds.  It has only been 4 days since this change so I am hoping the problem is resolved but wanted to share what I have found thus far.

Thanks,

Ryan 

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Thursday, May 19, 2011 2:41 AM
    Monday, May 16, 2011 9:10 PM
  • Hi,

Your efforts and sharing are appreciated. I hope this methoed will give the clue for the communities who encounter the similar issue.

Thanks. Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Niki

Thursday, May 19, 2011 2:40 AM