FAST Search...Everything configured and working but no thumbnails or previews RRS feed

• Question

• I have FAST installed, Office web apps installed, I get the link in the FAST search results to "view in browser" and it works, viewing and editing in browser works from document libraries as well.

So what could wrong that it won't show thumbnails for word or thumbnails/previews for PowerPoint?

Thursday, July 15, 2010 3:04 AM

Answers

All replies

• same issue, did everything , even the core results webpart has the preview word and powerpoint documents properties checked as well.. waiting for an answer..
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 11:14 PM
  • Hi, smahmood2554, could you please check the memory and cpu usage after the search result is returned and before the preview is displayed.

I observed similar phenomenon on one of contoso IW demo VM, and i found the CPU usage is relatively high in the VM. disclaimer: this is just some guess, i need to spend more time investigate into it.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 5:48 AM
  • Hi GuYuming, well i did a search, previewed the performance, it was OK, the CPU went to like 22%, and I am running FAST search on just 1 core, 3 gig memory. But one thing that I noticed was that after I perform a search, even though the results are returned, the CPU is still restless. but it fluctuates back n forth to a max 22%, not more than that.

Thanks

Sunday, July 18, 2010 8:32 AM
  • Hello Steve,

The WAC Service is used to render the preview images. So the WAC Service has to be installed on all  servers in the farm. To verify

In Central Admin go to->Application Management->Manage Service Applications->

Make Sure there is a PowerPoint Service Application and Word Viewing Service.

Assuming that it is and that is not the issue, here are some steps that may help figure out what may going on with preview

o Verify WAC is installed
    Choose a Word and PPT doc then click “view in browser” from the document library not from the search results page. Do you see the preview .

o Verify two services are running on the WAC server – These services generate the images.
    Word Viewing Service
    PowerPoint Service

o Verify that the “view in browser” links are shown and functional in the search results. The View in browser link is populated from serverredirectedurl, and this is also used for doc preview. Verify that it takes you to the WAC, and that the document is rendered.

o You may also want to navigate to Central Administration and ensure that the proxy group you are using has FAST service application and also the word and the powerpoint application service . To do so follow the steps below
    To set/check  your application proxy group (where you can modify it) do the following:
    •Central Administration
    •Application Management
    •Configure service application associations and check the above on the proxy group you have chosen

o As smahmood2554 has mentioned please verify that doc preview and/or thumbnail  preview is enabled in the core results webpart. (it is on by default). To do so follow the steps below
     Click on edit search results page and edit the core results webpart . In the web part properties you should see check boxes for doc preview and thumbnail preview

o If the above steps does not resolve the issue please post the errors if any in ULS logs verbose and fiddler trace to further narrow down the issue .

=======================================================
    Manas-MSFT

Sunday, July 18, 2010 11:44 AM
  • Take a look at this post -- basically if you've already run the SharePoint Configuration Wizard and then try to install Office Web Applications later you'll run into the issue you are describing.  Steps 10 and 11 might apply to you.  Specifically #11 did the trick for me:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/opal/archive/2009/11/16/installation-notice-for-sharepoint-2010-public-beta.aspx

This also was helpful:

http://geeksthenewblack.wordpress.com/2009/11/27/installing-office-web-apps-in-a-standalone-sharepoint-2010-environment/ 

John Ross
    SharePoint Server MVP | Sr. Consultant SharePoint911: SharePoint Consulting
    Blog: http://www.sharepoint911.com/blogs/john
    Twitter: @JohnRossJr

Professional SharePoint 2010 Branding and User Interface Design
    Sunday, July 18, 2010 6:34 PM
  • Steve,

You may be facing the same issue we were facing. Not only could we not preview thumbnails, we also couldn't open/edit Office documents in the browser. The two were related. The service account that runs the Office Web Apps Service Application needed access to the content. To fix it, we granted that service account Full Control on the content's web application through Central Admin. Good luck.

Friday, November 5, 2010 4:07 PM