none
Unable to enter value for Resource Name field on project schedule RRS feed

• Question

• The project schedule is linked to the task list. The task states, "This project can only be edited through Project Web App" which links me to the project schedule. Why cant I edit it in list mode?

I can enter new items for the project schedule but the "Resource Name" field is greyed out and I cannot enter anything in there. Can somebody tell me what is going on?

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 10:03 PM

All replies

• Hi thumpersd,

the task list in the Project Site is only for Information or to link documents on the task. This is a SharePoint Task List and SharePoint has no webbased scheduling like Project Server. If you want to use the SharePoint Task List then you have to use the template "SharePoint Task List Project" in PWA as well. This is by design!

The reason why you can't edit the resource field in the schedule in PWA could be due to a number of things:

• possibly you have not the permissions to add resources
    • there are no resources inside your project plan (you have to use the "Build Team" in the Ribbon)
    • not each view allows you to edit each field

hope this helps

Regards Bernhard Fischer

Bernhard Fischer [MVP] | www.wodey.de

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 11:37 PM
  • Thanks for the response Bernhard. I'd like to address some of the points you mentioned:

• possibly you have not the permissions to add resources

-I am an owner of both the PWA and the project subsite

• there are no resources inside your project plan (you have to use the "Build Team" in the Ribbon)

-I checked the "Build Team" list and confirmed there are a dozen users in there

• not each view allows you to edit each field

-I've tried switching views and noticed that there are other fields that I cannot add values into including: Actual Start, Actual Finish, Baseline Finish, % Work Complete. I am able to change the Task Name, Start, Finish.

Very strange problem. Im still doing development on it but obviously cant roll this into production when users cannot add information to tasks.

• Edited by thumpersd Thursday, April 2, 2015 5:48 PM
    Thursday, April 2, 2015 5:47 PM
  • Hi thumpersd,

the view "Summary Tasks" is the Standard view in PWA for a schedule. If you are an Administrator you should definitly be able to edit each field in this view like Task Name, Duration, Work, Start, Finish, % Complete (if not disabled over "Task Settings and Display"), Resource Names etc.

If it's not possable to edit the fields as an administrator, you have a fundamental issue with your server. Which Patchlevel has your server (the actual CU is from March and has the Version Number 15.0.4701.1001). Please check also if a SharePoint / ProjectWebApp database is running in compatibility mode. If yes run the SharePoint Configuration Wizzard.

In some cases I have seen some issues with the Browser. Enshure that the URL of your PWA Site is in the section of trusted sites. Clean the Browser Cache.

Without knowledge of the setup of your system it's very difficult to find a solution. Therefore check all possable changes please you have done and check your complete environment.

Best wishes

Bernhard Fischer

Thursday, April 2, 2015 10:26 PM
  • Presumably the project is checked out to you?

Can you edit it using Microsoft Project?

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Thursday, April 2, 2015 11:17 PM
  • Hi thumpersd,

the view "Summary Tasks" is the Standard view in PWA for a schedule. If you are an Administrator you should definitly be able to edit each field in this view like Task Name, Duration, Work, Start, Finish, % Complete (if not disabled over "Task Settings and Display"), Resource Names etc.

If it's not possable to edit the fields as an administrator, you have a fundamental issue with your server. Which Patchlevel has your server (the actual CU is from March and has the Version Number 15.0.4701.1001). Please check also if a SharePoint / ProjectWebApp database is running in compatibility mode. If yes run the SharePoint Configuration Wizzard.

In some cases I have seen some issues with the Browser. Enshure that the URL of your PWA Site is in the section of trusted sites. Clean the Browser Cache.

Without knowledge of the setup of your system it's very difficult to find a solution. Therefore check all possable changes please you have done and check your complete environment.

Best wishes

Bernhard Fischer

Unfortunately Im unable to answer those questions and I dont have access to the server myself.  I've tried it on both IE and Chrome with the same results. I'll have to contact our server admin and see if he can take a look.
    Friday, April 3, 2015 7:15 PM
  • Presumably the project is checked out to you?

Can you edit it using Microsoft Project?

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

I am checked out to it.

Unfortunately I dont have access to MS project PRO. I'll need a colleague to take a look.

Friday, April 3, 2015 7:16 PM