Calendar items missing in overlay mode RRS feed

• Question

• When I display two calendars in overlay mode, several items from the overlaid calendar are not displaying - when seen in side-by-side view, they appear. The problem applies both to calendars shared within the office (all native outlook), and internet calendars, Google cal in this instance. Also applies both to day, work week and week views. It also applies to both all-day or multi-day events as well as to individual events. On repeating events, some will show, some won't...

Occasionally, when creating an event in my outlook calendar concurrent to an event in the shared calendar, the entry in the shared calendar will display!! 

Running MS Outlook 2016, most recent update installed. 

This is rather annoying as the overlay mode is very useful to coordinate multiple calendars!

Any suggestions as to how to fix this are much appreciated!

Thursday, January 25, 2018 1:51 PM

All replies

• We are having exactly the same problem. Items appear if you use "Schedue View" or turn off overlay. If you turn on the overlay view the items disappear.

Thursday, January 25, 2018 2:19 PM
  • Same problem here. Was just brought to my attention an hour ago. 
    Thursday, January 25, 2018 3:03 PM
  • I am having this issue too!

I have my google calendar overlayed with my outlook/work calendar.  I almost missed an appointment yesterday because my google calendar is not displaying events when in overlay mode.  If I view side by side everything is there.  I have removed the calendar from outlook and re-added but it didn't correct the issue.

Thursday, January 25, 2018 3:06 PM
  • We are experiencing the same issue. Creating the mailbox profile again does not seem to fix the issue.

Thursday, January 25, 2018 3:40 PM
  • *Exact* same problem.  Office 365 environment.  One calendar is my account.  The other is a shared calendar.  Both are Office 365 accounts.

When viewed individually, both calendars show everything.  In overlay mode, it shows mine.  Here's the weird part: The overlay shows all the old appointments on the shared calendar, but nothing this week and nothing in February.  But then scrolling down shared events show up in March.  It's like some sort of refresh / update problem.  Events from last week and before show up in the overlay too.  It's just this week and all of February.

Note: Might be patch related.  This *just* started happening.  On Monday everything was working fine.  Yesterday (January 24, 2018) in the middle of the day I noticed that some items that had previously been there had disappeared from the shared calendar in overlay mode.

Thins I have done thus far:
    1) Reset views to default;
    2) Removed and re-added Office 365 account;
    3) Deleted Outlook profile and re-created.
    4) Verified on OWA that the events are in fact still there on the shared calendar;
    5) Started Outlook in clean view mode;
    6) Checked for errors on Send and Receive (there were none);
    7) Turned off cache mode.

• Edited by stuff1234 Thursday, January 25, 2018 5:59 PM Added additional troubleshooting steps
    Thursday, January 25, 2018 5:56 PM
  • We have the same problem. Outlook 2016 (1712 8827.2148) is installed from an Office 365 account. We are using Exchange 2013 on Prem. The problem started on January 23, 2018. Can anyone confirm what build of Outlook they are running? I suspect an update to the click to run office software. Outlook 2013 clients work fine.
    Thursday, January 25, 2018 6:42 PM
  • We're having the same issue and it has already caused some execs to miss appointments. My admin staff is up in arms right now. We've done everything we can think of but at this point we've had to revert our priority users to Office 2013 until this is resolved.
    Thursday, January 25, 2018 11:11 PM
  • Same problem, first observed on same day (Jan 23, 2018).
    Friday, January 26, 2018 2:13 AM
  • Outlook 2016 (1712 8827.2148) is installed from an Office 365 account. 
    Same build here. Hopefully this will get sorted with the next update.
    Friday, January 26, 2018 9:16 AM
  • Hi all,

This is a known issue and the fix should be included in next release.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by dutchboy92 Monday, January 29, 2018 6:47 PM
    Friday, January 26, 2018 9:39 AM
  • Same problem here.
    Friday, January 26, 2018 12:47 PM
  • Same issue.  Thought I was going crazy.  Now I know what I am looking at I can make the appointments appear and disappear at will by scrolling up and down in month view.

Friday, January 26, 2018 2:52 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Is there an estimated date for the next release?

Regards,

Alan

Friday, January 26, 2018 4:49 PM
  • Is there a page where I can view known Office issues? I'd like to provide a link to a user having this issue to let them know it's being worked on.

Friday, January 26, 2018 7:25 PM
  • This is the second major issue that I have run into with Outlook 2016 in the past few days (I am still unable to search for emails and have anything returned in the results, even after a frustrating hour long support session with an Answer Desk person yesterday). I only recently switched from Office 2013 to Office 2016 as I moved to a new computer, thinking I would be helping myself out by using a newer version that would be supported longer. I am now seriously considering going back to the old version.

Being able to see a list of open issues for Outlook 2016 and having some idea about when fixes for known issues will be released would be very helpful. So I second the earlier comment asking about that.

Barry

Sunday, January 28, 2018 1:56 PM
  • Yes - when will this be fixed?  Crazy this broke.  
    Sunday, January 28, 2018 7:56 PM
  • Yes I'd like to know this too!
    Sunday, January 28, 2018 7:57 PM
  • Experiencing the exact same issue.  Changing the appointment types to "Busy" will force the items to display briefly - but then they disappear again.  Causing headaches for administrative staff...

Monday, January 29, 2018 3:11 PM
  • When is the "next release"? That's not a great response, given that missed meetings are the outcome of this "feature". This is a serious bug.

Darren Mar-Elia MS-MVP, Group Policy
    www.gpoguy.com
    www.sdmsoftware.com - "The Group Policy Experts"

Monday, January 29, 2018 4:39 PM
  • Major problem for us too. Need an ETA asap so I can tell my users for how long they might have to be at 2 differents place at the same time.
    Monday, January 29, 2018 4:50 PM
  • Our company is also seeing this issue.

Incredibly frustrating!

What update did this come through on so I can uninstall it?

Monday, January 29, 2018 5:39 PM
  • In a different thread, someone has found a potential work-around, and it seems to be working for me. Change the order of the calendar so that your primary calendar is not first in the priority list.

There is another thread that talks about the same issue: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_win10-mso_365hp/outlook-calendar-appointments-not-showing-in/827be89f-bdbe-46d4-8a9e-d2773323b0b5

Monday, January 29, 2018 6:17 PM
  • In a different thread, someone has found a potential work-around, and it seems to be working for me. Change the order of the calendar so that your primary calendar is not first in the priority list.

Brilliant!!  This sorted me out.  Thanks!
    Monday, January 29, 2018 6:41 PM
  • https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Fixes-or-workarounds-for-recent-issues-in-Outlook-for-Windows-ecf61305-f84f-4e13-bb73-95a214ac1230?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Here is a page for known issues that they currently have a workaround for. This issue is present on the page. It will also be updated once it is fixed to say "fixed" and will usually say which update the issue is fixed in. 

Monday, January 29, 2018 9:12 PM
  • I found a quick workaround - if you make your appointment recurring they will show up in the overlay.

See if this works.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 12:15 AM
  • am having exactly the same problem, with an outlook.com calendar which , as opposed to a google calendar, one would not expect

remove the account, deleted the ost files en reinstalled the account. no difference!

until recently the overlay worked great; extremely useful tool when managing several accounts

needs urgent fixing!!!

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 9:52 AM
  • I started experiencing this issue on 29th Jan 2018.

This worked for me as a 'work around' for now...thanks.

But this issue really does need to be fixed.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 12:40 PM
  • We had a similar problem.  The root cause seemed to be that the primary calendar had no appts/mtgs scheduled for the time period being displayed, so it always came up blank, even when other calendars that were overlaid had appts.  

I added a dummy appt to the primary calendar, and the others all started to appear properly.  As a workaround, you might be able to schedule a recurring appt (marked as free) for every day until the issue is resolved.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 5:20 PM
  • Same problem. Ridiculous. The workaround doesn't work. It only prioritizes what you can and can't see. Not sure after how many overlaid calendars Outlook wigs out. Seems like pretty basic functionality, but the glitch has potentially monumental consequences. Microsoft's silence is deafening on the issue as usual. I recommend referring to your iPhone for any level of product confidence. All the appointments display correctly there! MS ought to take heed for once. 
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 7:18 PM
  • Is there someway to contact Microsoft to get an approximate time this will be resolved.  This is ridiculous that this started out of nowhere.

So frustrating.  None of the suggested "go arounds" worked for me. And if they did, it only brought up some appointments, others will still missing.  Cannot have this.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 7:32 PM
  • Same Issue here.

Outlook 2016 on Windows 10 and Windows 7 as well. 

Edit: Only happens if the event is exceeding "One Week" Page, i.e. Sun - Mon.
    • Edited by dognose Tuesday, January 30, 2018 7:59 PM
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 7:54 PM
  • Just spoke with Microsoft.  They were absolutely no help whatsoever, they have no idea when this will be fixed according the the representative I spoke with. They next update on this issue is 1/31/18 at 5:00 UTC.  
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 8:03 PM
  • Same Issue. Missed a few events myself. 

Old events from a .ics calendar(internet calendar) show. For me. Events from the .ics calendar do not show when in overlay view. The events do show when side-by-side and exist online. 

I have tried:

1. Removing and re-adding the calendar
    2. Generating a new .ics link.
    3. Giving full permissions to default user of shared calendar.

Office Version: 1712 Build 8827.2148.

Looking forward to a solution.

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 9:39 PM
  • Fixed in Monthly Channel Version 1712 (Build 8827.2179).
    • Proposed as answer by Martin_Walder Thursday, February 1, 2018 12:09 PM
    • Edited by Martin_Walder Thursday, February 1, 2018 12:10 PM
    Thursday, February 1, 2018 12:09 PM
  • Thank you for this update, it now works as it should, in overlay mode!!!
    Thursday, February 1, 2018 1:50 PM
  • Yep, it now works......like it did before Microsoft broke it with lousy quality control.  Yay!

Step #1 is complete.  Moving along to step #2 which is disabling Office updates and the Windows update service.  I'll let some other poor schmucks unwittingly beta test their patches.

Friday, February 2, 2018 12:17 AM
  • YUP - PERFECT - FIXED ISSUE - THANKS!

Friday, February 2, 2018 5:19 AM
  • How do I access this update, where will I find it?
    Friday, February 2, 2018 8:31 AM
  • I have the same problem.

Friday, February 2, 2018 10:29 AM
  • This works.
    Friday, February 2, 2018 10:46 AM
  • Been working on this issue for 2 weeks, the update resolved our issue.
    Friday, February 2, 2018 3:44 PM
  • Hi all,

The issue is fixed in Monthly Channel Version 1712 (Build 8827.2179). To get the latest update immediately, open Outlook and choose File > Office Account > Update Options > Update Now.

See the following article for more details:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/calendar-overlay-does-not-show-appointments-for-additional-account-42b68057-f12f-4dd0-b11a-261359fc072d

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, February 6, 2018 5:25 AM
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 5:25 AM
  • According to the link, the issue started with Build 8827.2178 but i am experiencing it with Build 8827-2117. The work around above, rearranging the order of the primary calendar worked, but I since don't have administration permission to enable updates using the Office Account Office Update button, not sure when that monthly Channel update will be pushed to me.
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 6:58 PM

There is another thread that talks about the same issue: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_win10-mso_365hp/outlook-calendar-appointments-not-showing-in/827be89f-bdbe-46d4-8a9e-d2773323b0b5

My problem might be slightly different.  When I select the calendar icon in the lower left OR double-click a date from mail in the right pane calendar quick view, none of the calendars in the overlay would display - they would show briefly, then as they refresh would disappear.  I would uncheck one calendar and recheck it in the calendar list on the left, and everything would come up.  This solution worked for me "permanently".  Thanks!

Monday, April 30, 2018 8:54 PM
  • My problem might be slightly different.  When I select the calendar icon in the lower left OR double-click a date from mail in the right pane calendar quick view, none of the calendars in the overlay would display - they would show briefly, then as they refresh would disappear.  I would uncheck one calendar and recheck it in the calendar list on the left, and everything would come up.  This solution worked for me "permanently".  Thanks!

This sounds like the issue being reported by a number of my users as well.  Although check/unchecking calendars would not fix the issue, it seems to persist.

Even making the user's calendar not the primary does not resolve the issue.  Hoping the thread provides some useful info for me.

“We will never be an advanced civilization as long as rain showers can delay the launching of a space rocket.” -George Carlin

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 7:03 PM