none
Can Not Open File From Project Server 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are using Project Server 2007 and Project Professional 2007, and both the Server and the user have been upgraded to Service Pack 3.  The user is set to the Security Category of "Program Manager" and that category is set to allow users to open, save, and publish projects.  But when this user attempts to open a project from project web access, he gets the error stating "Project cannot open the file".  Now, if he goes directly into Project Professional and goes to File > Open, he can open the file from project server.  We have also confirmed that his server accounts are set correctly.  We have hundreds of projects on our system and we need users to utilize PWA to open projects.

Any ideas why this user gets an error for opening projects from PWA?

Thursday, January 26, 2012 5:55 PM

Answers

• I remember encountering something similar and think it was related to extra whitespace or something similar (eg, a symbol) in the project's name.

ETA:  Found a message in my email that confirmed this was our problem - if you have multiple spaces in sequence in the project name, it will not open from Project Center (EPM 2007)

Terrie T - MCTS - PMP - MBA****PMO & Project Server Admin

Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:55 PM

All replies

• I remember encountering something similar and think it was related to extra whitespace or something similar (eg, a symbol) in the project's name.

ETA:  Found a message in my email that confirmed this was our problem - if you have multiple spaces in sequence in the project name, it will not open from Project Center (EPM 2007)

Terrie T - MCTS - PMP - MBA****PMO & Project Server Admin

Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:55 PM
  • Hi Kent,

Next time, you might like to try posting on the Project Server forum selected from here: http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm#Find_a_Forum

Mike Glen

MS Project MVP

See http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials

Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:49 PM
  •  

I also encountered the error message ‘Cannot open project file’.  I am using Project 2010 with Windows7.  At first, I thought the project files I created were corrupted.

However, when I restored the files and then attempted to move them to the same folder I received the error message “Destination Path Too Long – The file names would be too long for the destination folder.  You can shorten the file name and try again, or try a location that has a shorter path”. 

Once I saw this message, I realized that my files were OK and that the problem didn’t start to happen until after I had renamed my folders (or files).  Once I moved my folder up one level in the folder hierarchy (I could have tried to shorten my folder or file name as well), the problem was resolved!

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:53 PM