Intermittent Issue - Skype Messages never received going straight to Conversation History RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

A user in my organization is having an interesting issue where, randomly, certain other users within the organization's messages are being routed directly to their Conversation History without any notification or alert that a message was received.  This only occurs with a random selection of users, and after a day or so the issue resolves itself, only to return again on a different day and affecting a different group of users.  I know this isn't an issue with the affected recipient's Skype client, as other messages generate the correct alerts and message windows in Skype for Business.  We are a Skype for Business Online customer.  Are there any client side fixes known currently for this kind of problem?

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 7:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

Welcome to our forum.

Did you mean this issue occur to the specific user who receive message from others?

If that, we suggest you do the following steps to check if the issue persist:

1. Update SFB client to the latest 
    2. Rebuild SFB’s profile 
    3. Update OS to the latest

If there are any questions or issues, please be free to let me know.

Best Regard,
    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Edited by jim-xu Thursday, November 3, 2016 8:03 AM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2016 1:56 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Can you elaborate us more like when exactly does user is getting redirected to Conversation History?

I mean is it when user just login on to SFB or when?

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 6:37 AM
  • What is the client OS that the users are with , Can you make sure that the client and the OS is patched to the latest as suggested by Jim and then test the issue. 

Linus || Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 7:18 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Can you elaborate us more like when exactly does user is getting redirected to Conversation History?

I mean is it when user just login on to SFB or when?

Thank you for asking, and my apologies for not being clearer.  A single user within a domain is sent messages from other users within the same domain, but some of those messages do not ever "make it" to the Skype for Business client and are instead sent straight into Conversation History folder.  Further possible evidence of the client never receiving the message is found under the History tab within Skype itself - the conversation(s) in question are not listed, and can only be retrieved from accessing the Conversation History folder in Outlook.  Stranger yet, after some days' time the issue seems to resolve itself, only to reappear later and affecting a different group of senders (directing messages towards the same receiving user).  We have performed a full reinstallation of the Skype client prior to my posting this message, and did so using the download available through a newly downloaded copy of the web installer found within the O365 Portal.  The client user is on Windows 10 Anniversary Edition.

I'm happy to answer any further questions if necessary.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 2:49 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Thanks for detailed information. It may sound silly but messages directly go in Conversation History when user's SFB status is set to "Do not disturb". Make sure user status is set to Available.

Also as far as I'm understanding by your replies, a SINGLE USER is facing this issue like if we kept aside this user A, all other users like from user B to Z are able to make peer to peer calls with each other, chat etc. Right?

-Archer

• Edited by SFB.Analyst Thursday, November 3, 2016 5:50 AM
    Thursday, November 3, 2016 5:45 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Did you test this issue on different PCs?

By this issue, we suggest you also do a clean boot on client PC to check if the issue persist.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135 

Also check if the issue was caused by A/V or specific software on client.

Best Regard,
    Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Edited by jim-xu Monday, November 14, 2016 2:54 AM
    Thursday, November 3, 2016 8:18 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Thanks for detailed information. It may sound silly but messages directly go in Conversation History when user's SFB status is set to "Do not disturb". Make sure user status is set to Available.

Also as far as I'm understanding by your replies, a SINGLE USER is facing this issue like if we kept aside this user A, all other users like from user B to Z are able to make peer to peer calls with each other, chat etc. Right?

-Archer

Archer,

Not silly at all!  It is often the simple things that create strange problems like this.  Alas, this does not appear to be the case.

You do have a full understanding of the issue, based on your description.  The "B-Z" users would not have an issue communicating with one another.

Through some additional investigation, it would seem that there might be an issue where the user is being temporarily disconnected from the Skype for Business Server, which would explain the random and sporadic nature of the issue.

@jim-xu,

The only A/V in play on this laptop is Windows Defender.  Since the issue is intermittent, to test a clean boot on another PC would require switching the user's entire workstation platform for an indefinite period of time, which we cannot accomodate currently.

With all of this being said, we are going to pursue the issue through direct support means now.  Thanks for your help, everyone on the thread, and please feel free to close the thread.

Thursday, November 3, 2016 9:07 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Are there any updates for this thread?

We would like to you give us any updates for this issue, we are pleasure that you could share your solution from support to us, it will help someone who has similar issue.

In addition, if you use on-premise Skype for business, please update it to the latest. 

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

Monday, November 14, 2016 3:08 AM