none
How to create a Burn-down Chart in Microsoft Project 2013/16 using Story Points Instead of Work RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to be able to create a typical "burn-down" chart in Microsoft Project 2013 or 2016 using the new Reporting (no Visual Reports) capability utilizing Story Points instead of resource assigned work.

I have a number of custom fields that define Sprints, Stories, Story Points and Velocity (among other things), but I can't seem to figure out how to do a really simple burn-down (or even burn-up) report using the new Reporting Dashboards.

I have "Googled" all over the place trying to find a simple example of this with no luck.

Can anyone either show me how to do this or point me to a simple example of how to use Story Points instead of Work for a burn-down chart?

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 3:14 PM

All replies

• Jeremy --

Since no one is attempting to answer your question, allow me to give you the bad news.  You cannot create a Burndown Chart using Story Points because your custom field does not contain timephased data.  If you look at the fields included in the default Burndown Chart, you will see that all of the fields use timephased data.  There is no way to force a custom field to include timephased data, so you are out of luck on creating your custom Burndown Chart.  Sorry.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 8:02 PM