none
windows 10 2019 ltsc can't open exe RRS feed

• Question

• I image a box with sccm task sequence and domain users cannot launch any exe locally

for example

I copy processmonitor.exe to the c drive and the domain user can't run it, no errors, acts like I never clicked on it

if I open a unc path to my c drive over the network the user can open the same executable

I am obviously missing some security setting with this new windows 10 1809 ltsc as it was not an issue with the exact same setup using 1607 ltsb

any help would be appreciated as this is really driving me nuts

Thursday, August 29, 2019 7:04 PM

All replies

• Check the image’s UAC settings, enable UAC on Notify me only when apps try to make changes to my computer(do not dim my desktop) level and test again.

Also, open C partition’s Properties, Security tab, check your domain users’ permission, make sure they have Read & execute permission.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 30, 2019 2:14 AM
  • setting the UAC to the level suggested was one down from where it was and it didn't help

I compared the c drive effective permissions for the same user on an 1809 and 1607 and they both have the same permissions

everything works on 1607 users can't click on 1809

Friday, August 30, 2019 12:53 PM
  • permissions are the same on windows and program files

even giving the user full control to an exe on the c drive does not let it open

but if I copy that exe to a shared folder and access it by \\server\share\exe it opens

Friday, August 30, 2019 1:10 PM
  • Vert strange, you may need to reset this PC and keep my files to check result.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 9, 2019 8:15 AM