Index sizes in SQL -- Standard vs. Enterprise RRS feed

• Question

• Referring to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb418772.aspx, there is the following statement:

The sizing differences between SQL Server Standard Edition and SQL Server Enterprise Edition are due to the differences in the index sizes between the two editions.

Can someone please expand on this? 

Is this implying that SQL Enterprise requires less space for the same indexes?  I have searched for anything that can back this up and have not been able to find anything.

Or does this mean that FCS does something different with indexes in SQL Enterprise?

Thank you!

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 9:34 PM

All replies

• I did a little testing on my end with SQL.  I took a 75GB database and restored it to both SQL 2005 Standard and SQL 2005 Enterprise.  I rebuilt all indexes with 100% fill factor and then shrunk the databases.  The Enterprise version is not any smaller than the Standard version.

So, SQL does not appear to save any space on indexes.  I can only *assume* that Forefront is storing the data differently in SQL Enterprise if Enterprise is detected.  I did notice partitioned tables in use with SQL Enterprise and Forefront (or MOM).  It would be nice to be able to explain how/why space is being saved. 

Thursday, February 7, 2008 5:53 PM